convert 220 VAC 50 Hz to 110 VAC 60 Hz

I'm in the agreement that a simple transformer would work. They can purchased as entity, so likely no wiring on your part. This effectively looks like a food processor. My only reservation would be continuous use vs. intermittent use.

50/60 Hz markings are common these days. 60 Hz stiff on 50 Hz might run a little warm.

VFD's or Variable frequency drives would probably be prohibitively expensive.

abdullah8391

Joined Sep 6, 2015
ers-5512sp-1583k
This is the model of the motor.
Can you also share a link that could help me understand different types of motors.
It is really problematic for me to know nothing about it and I feel shamefull to ask same question again and again.

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I work for a frequency converter company, so I daresay I might be able to shed some light on the subject and clarify some points. Some of this has already been said by others, I will repeat a bit just to cover all the bases.

A transformer will step up or step down AC voltage, but it will not change the frequency. The discussion below only focuses on frequency - it is assumed the correct voltage is applied to the motor.

First, I'm going to assume this is a simple inductive, 4-pole motor. You apply power, it will start up immediately and never change speed. If that's the case:
  • The motor's speed is based on the frequency of the power you supply it. In other words, a typical 4-pole motor will run at 1800 RPM (rotations per minute) at 60Hz and 1500 RPM at 50Hz.
  • Some motors are designed specifically for 60Hz, some for 50Hz, and some but not all will work at both.
  • If you have a motor designed for 60Hz and you supply it with 50Hz, one of three things will happen:
  1. The motor will burn up.
  2. The motor will overheat and shut off if there is a thermal fuse present, otherwise see #1.
  3. The motor will run fine but it will run slower, roughly 5/6ths of its rated speed at 60Hz, i.e., 1500 RPM instead of 1800 RPM.
Let's say the motor can run at 50Hz. You are correct that the nameplate on the motor should state this. If it only states 60Hz, it probably won't run at 50Hz or will burn up trying. But let's say for minute the motor nameplate states 50Hz or 60Hz. The next question becomes is the machine the motor placed in designed to run at 50Hz and at the slower speed? Let's say you had a motor running a conveyor belt designed for 60Hz and the conveyor motor nameplate said it could run at 50Hz or 60Hz. Running it at 50Hz will slow down the conveyor belt which might affect operations. So you need to consider how the motor is used as well.

Now let's assume you cannot safely apply 50Hz to your 60Hz equipment whether this is risk of burning up the motor or adversely affecting how the motor is used in the equipment. You have a few options.

One option is to use a frequency converter. These take the incoming power and convert both the voltage and frequency to the desired output power. There are two types, rotary and static (electronic). Rotary converters work by using a motor desired to run at the incoming power and using belts and pulleys to connect it to a generator. By sizing the pulleys correctly, a 50Hz motor will spin at 1500 RPM and using pulleys and belts, the generator will spin at 1800 RPM providing 60Hz. Most generators can be rewired easily to provide the desired output voltage, so a 220V, 50Hz motor can spin a generator to give you 110V, 60Hz. Static converters work by taking incoming AC power converting it to DC then inverting back into AC. The inversion process allows us to make the output frequency whatever we want. And no, this is not something you can easily design yourself.

Unfortunately, these are horribly expensive devices. In the U.S., a small single-phase frequency converter rated around 700 watts can run around $2k USD. I often joke frequency converters are like printer cords - you spend money on a piece of equipment you really want (or found a great deal on) only to get it home and you need something that wasn't included. For printers this is USB cords (no longer a problem thanks to wireless); for foreign equipment, this is frequency conversion.

That said, many people don't want to purchase a converter as it is often more expensive than they realized, sometimes more than the equipment is worth, so I'm familiar with the alternate options. As someone suggested, you could use a variable frequency drive (VFD). These take incoming power and change the frequency to something a motor can use. It is dirty power for lack of a better word - not a true, clean sine wave like you'd see from a frequency converter. However, motors don't care how "clean" the power is, as long as it is close. These are great because they are far less expensive than a frequency converter. A small one would run around $200 USD. You need a VFD for each motor in your equipment - a single VFD will only operate a single motor.

Another option is to replace the 60Hz motor with a 50Hz one. You will still run into the problem of a slower speed, but if that isn't a concern, sometimes replacing the motor is less expensive than a VFD or frequency converter. If the existing motor is driving a belt, you could replace it with a 50Hz motor and use a different pulley and perhaps belt to keep the speed the same so the machine performs as expected.

The last option is replacing the equipment with one that is made to work with local power. I know, I know, "but we got the equipment for such a deal." Trying to power it may cost more than it is worth.

Anyway, hope this provides some insight.