Controlling an HDMI 2 in 1 out switch with Raspberry Pi

HenryD

Joined Mar 18, 2010
I am trying to control an HDMI switch to change output based on a movement sensor on a Raspberry Pi 3b+.
I have a HDMI switch that has a push button to change/toggle between inputs. I am wondering how to modify the HDMI switch to allow control from the Raspberry Pi. One friend has suggested, I change the switch to one controlled by IR.
Attached is a document with photos of what I am working with. My current thought is to remove the push button switch from the board and solder connects to a DPDT relay.
My electronic understanding and soldering skills are very beginner, so any help/suggestions are welcome.
Thank you

Attachments

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Using a relay in place of the switch should work but you need to remove the switch.
A couple of ways is to use solder remover wick or a solder-sucker to remove the solder from the switch pins so it can be removed.
Be careful not to overheat the pins or the traces may come off the board.

Alternately, you may be able to just remove the guts of the switch without unsoldering it to minimize the possibility of PCB damage.
Then just solder the relay contact wires to the switch pins remaining.

HenryD

Joined Mar 18, 2010
thank you. I like the idea of removing the guts of the switch....perhaps with a Dremel tool and then soldering to the remaining legs.