controller wiring help

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
My best guess here looking at the drawing would be they use PWM for motor speed control. The controller itself is rated for a max current of 31 Amps. So I would guess you want to find a 30 to 40 Amp PWM motor speed controller. Not saying one can't be built but sometimes it's easier to buy than build things like this. The controller is also setup so when you brake the motor is shut off which makes sense. :) I am guessing a 24 volt brush type motor. The "Accelerator" is likely just a potentiometer using 3 wires for the PWM speed control. They managed to misspell motor as moter which is humorous. :)

This is pure speculation on my part but I am guessing that is what you have. I have seen 40 and 50 amp PWM controllers on Ebay and I think Amazon relatively inexpensive which could be hacked likely to suit your needs. I am not familiar with any safety features that govern these scooters. Thus, I have no clue where that may figure in.

Nam vet huh? We ain't getting any younger. I think this year is a 46th Marine Corps reunion for me. Wondering where the 46 years went? :)

Semper Fi
Ron

AMK4

Joined Mar 28, 2015
Thanks for your reply....it is 24 volt brushed motor....500w rated power....so you think a different controller with reverse will do the trick?

Was in USAF Electronic Countermeasures..... in Phu Cat for TET '68.....discharged 15 Aug 68.
Welcome Home!

Ted

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Thanks for your reply....it is 24 volt brushed motor....500w rated power....so you think a different controller with reverse will do the trick?

Was in USAF Electronic Countermeasures..... in Phu Cat for TET '68.....discharged 15 Aug 68.
Welcome Home!

Ted
Ted, if you want reverse then you want an H-Bridge which will allow PWM and things get more complex and expensive. Then we need to generate the PWM signal and use a high current H-Bridge to be able to reverse direction. As to the motor being 500 watts so we get 500/24= 20.8 Amps. Likely why the controller was rated at 31 Amps.

Ended up in the Marines in '69 when I was 19. Didn't get to Nam till '72. MAG 15 Task Force Delta. When I rotated home the unit went on to build "The Rose Garden" in Thailand. While in DaNang we had what I recall was the 20th TASS Group, USAF. Wow, been some years. :)

Anyway, one motor direction we would use a 30 or 40 amp PWM speed controller but if we want forward and reverse then we want a 30 to 40 Amp H-Bridge that we can drive with a low level PWM signal.

Ron

AMK4

Joined Mar 28, 2015
Ted, if you want reverse then you want an H-Bridge which will allow PWM and things get more complex and expensive. Then we need to generate the PWM signal and use a high current H-Bridge to be able to reverse direction. As to the motor being 500 watts so we get 500/24= 20.8 Amps. Likely why the controller was rated at 31 Amps.

Ended up in the Marines in '69 when I was 19. Didn't get to Nam till '72. MAG 15 Task Force Delta. When I rotated home the unit went on to build "The Rose Garden" in Thailand. While in DaNang we had what I recall was the 20th TASS Group, USAF. Wow, been some years. :)

Anyway, one motor direction we would use a 30 or 40 amp PWM speed controller but if we want forward and reverse then we want a 30 to 40 Amp H-Bridge that we can drive with a low level PWM signal.

Ron
Yes that is why I got the controller with the 31 amps and reverse to replace the original but am having problems getting it to work... I have the lights, keyswitch, directional, horn etc.....but cannot get the motor to run unless I supply it from the batteries.....

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Oh, so you have the controller you linked to? My bad as I thought the controller you linked to was what you needed to replace. Guess I am running a little slow on the uptake.

You have a throttle pot. With things energized I would start measuring between those three wires. Also see if one of the three goes to battery common and one goes to battery positive (24 volts). The idea here is to see if the pot wiper (possibly the green wire) has a varying voltage as the throttle is adjusted. Disconnect the motor. Once that is done we can see if the brake switch is behaving. Guessing it is if the brake lamp works. I am also assuming you have a meter to poke around with?

Ron

AMK4

Joined Mar 28, 2015
Yes Ron...I have a VOM to check but will have to wait until daylight now...will check the throttle wires and brake switch for voltages in the am.....
Thanks for the guidance....some things start to fail you as you get older sadly.

Ted

AMK4

Joined Mar 28, 2015
Have voltage at the throttle with variation when twisting the handle and the brake light works but still not running the motor.........been away for 2 weeks...wife illness....

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Since the brake light works we can assume the brake switch system is working. Braking stops the motor, but again, since the brake light works that all should be working. The power switch lock should enable the main controller. The battery + is connected to the motor directly and the controller apparently applies a PWM signal to the motor - based on the throttle setting. Assuming all the connections are correct and tight this thing should work. You can check the Yellow line going to the controller from the key switch. Using the voltmeter with - on Green place the + lead on the Yellow and operate the key switch and see what you get?

On a side note I hope all goes well with the wife. Bee there and done that with my own as she has with me.

Ron

AMK4

Joined Mar 28, 2015
OK....some good results.....I have headlight...turn signals...horn....brake light with motor disconnect when applied...the only problem is that I can go forward only in the reverse mode of the keyswitch....which is highly doable knowing where I was at...possibly reverse wires to keyswitch?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Yeah, you can try that. Just be real careful doing things momentary as we do not want to cook anything or see a smoke plume off any wires before a fuse blows. :) At least something positive has happened. :)

Ron

AMK4

Joined Mar 28, 2015
Yes...do not want to do the smoke test....thanks to another Vet I got this scooter operational....Thanks again Circuit Guru....and Welcome Home....

AMK4

Joined Mar 28, 2015
Final setup.....got the scooter to run forward in the forward keyswitch position but not reverse.....goes fast if you twist the throttle enough....everything working except reverse....wife happy...I happy......thanks again for all the great advise....