Controller for an AC Motor?

nodapic

Joined Sep 19, 2021
For some reason I had the brilliant idea today to convert my honey extractor from manual to electric. I happen to have an unused AC motor from a bathroom fan that states "590RPM" on the side. I need at most ~350RPM, so I'd like to add a controller to this AC motor. I only have limited knowledge of these things, so I need some help identifying the right type of controller to avert burning my house down. My hope is that there be someone here who could help out!

The sticker on the side lists the following specs:
- Broad-Ocean Motor (HAI Phong) Company Limited
- Model Y4L403B028A
- 120V~60Hz 2.0uF/250V 3W
- 0. 16A 590RPM. CLASS B

Based on my research it looks like I might need a VFD; but whenever I look for VFDs I only find these large boxes that look pretty serious... How would I go about adding an RPM controller to this motor?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
1ph VFD's are notoriously bad with 1ph motors, besides it would be major overkill for your small fan.
From the mention of a capacitor it is most likely a PSC motor which can usually be controlled by a Triac style controller, available for a couple of $$ on ebay etc.
Show a pic of the fan motor

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
That "interesting-box" is a "Start-Capacitor".
The Motor won't start spinning without it,
although You could probably spin the Motor by hand to start it without the Capacitor.

You haven't commented on what type of Load You expect this Motor to power.
This is a "Fan-Motor" specifically designed for a "Fan-Load".

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
That appears to be a 12pole motor for an RPM of 590, quite unusual pole count.
It does appear it could be a PSC motor with identical start and run windings, if so it would be easy to reverse, if needed,

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
For some reason I had the brilliant idea today to convert my honey extractor from manual to electric. I happen to have an unused AC motor from a bathroom fan that states "590RPM" on the side. I need at most ~350RPM
If this was a manual extractor, how did you ever turn the handle at 350RPM? Instead of trying to figure out a way of driving this with a motor that may not work look at what this place has to sell. https://www.surpluscenter.com/Electric-Motors/AC-Gearmotors/AC-Gearmotors/
Not affiliated with them, just a long time, well pleased customer.

nodapic

Joined Sep 19, 2021
Thank you for the replies - I like the idea of just buying one at the link shortbus provided. I looked through them but they don't seem to have any adjustable ones.

One of the key requirements here is that it be adjustable. The reason is that when you first start spinning the honey comb it full of honey and thus heavier. As the honey starts to spin out, it gets lighter and you can increase the speed. If you speed up too soon, the wax breaks. Hence the original idea for a speed adjuster with the random motor I have. The extractor does have a 3:1 reduction already (I guess it would be the opposite of a reduction; I turn by hand at ~120RPM and and it steps it up to 360RPM), so if switched the gears around I used them with this motor if I can adjust its speed down to ~360RPM.

With respect to the load question: The extractor would hold two honey frames with ~8lbs and spin them with the centroid at ~10in away from the axle. So required torque would be ~6.6 ft-lbs. I can help spin it up by hand, so I'm really just interested in keeping it spinning once at speed.

So this gets me back to finding a speed adjustor - or - in the absence of an adjustor, a new set of gears that would allow me to step down the 590 to ~120RPM... So would the Triac style controller still be the best solution???

PS: To Ian0 - oh how much I just want to move to Europe... I'm an expat, so I might just need to use this as the excuse!

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I like the idea of just buying one at the link shortbus provided. I looked through them but they don't seem to have any adjustable ones.
On that same site, look at DC gear motors. Being DC you would/could then use a DC speed controller which I think they sell.