control LM2576HV with DAC

ecka333

Joined Oct 1, 2009
Hello, i have buck converter IC LM2576HV. Chip's output voltage, according to manufacturers datasheet, can be controlled with potentiometer. My question is: can i control LM2576 output voltage with DAC converter? There is two types of DAC: voltage and current. Also converters may be buffered and without buffering. I have bought MAX531 DAC with parameters: buffered voltage output, power supply is +5v, The MAX531's internal op amp may be configured for a gain of +1 or +2. So can i control converter with this DAC, o i need current DAC?

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
You could try applying a voltage to the bottom of the resistive divider. The output would then be DAC voltage + normal output voltage.

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
You didn't mention the input voltage and what output voltage range you want to have.

I hope you have bought the adjustable version as the fixed output version will expect to see the specified output voltage at its feedback pin.

For the adjustable version, LM2576-ADJ expects to see 1.23V at its feedback pin. If it sees a lower voltage, it will keep increasing the switching duty cycle to try to raise the output voltage and vice verser.

It is much simpler to use a digital potentiometer instead of a DAC. Connects the digital POT to acts as one leg of the actual output voltage divider, same as those in the fixed output versions, e.g. R1 in the figure below. Use a fixed resistor for R2.

Attachments

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
I've always wondered if a digital potentiometer would be okay, because many of them have a poor bandwidth of a few MHz. I've never tried it though, so wouldn't know if this is actually a problem.

ecka333

Joined Oct 1, 2009
I am planning to use LM2576HV-ADJ chip this is adjustable version. Power supply input will be about 26V, and output from 1,23V to 21V. According schematics, resistor R2 must be adjusted and R1 can be from from 1k to 5k. If i will adjust voltage of shematics part , where R1 is with DAC, my DAC will be burned, because it designed for 5V voltage, am i right?

Attachments

Last edited:

ecka333

Joined Oct 1, 2009
So i decided to use resistors chain to control LM2576HV-ADJ voltage. But i dont know how can i implement resistor switches. Maybe there is way with multiplexer and transistors?

Attachments

PaulEE

Joined Dec 23, 2011
The CD4066 is a quad bilateral switch. You can use a microcontroller or logic chips to switch between resistors. Each switch can run on +5v and the ON resistance is usually between 10 and 100 ohms; consult datasheet for details. Not a big deal if you're paralleling resistors of moderate to high values (>>10*100 ohms, as an example).