Contactor question #2

mziefum1372

Joined Sep 7, 2022
I would like to know if the following contactors are the same in function? And can they be replaced?

1 - Schneider Electric LC1D18M7
2 - Siemens 3RT20181AP61

mziefum1372

Joined Sep 7, 2022
We have a large number of contactors of different brands and models in stock. for example ABB, Schnieder, Siemens, LS and etc.
The main question is how to classify these contactors regardless of their make and model. Of course, it should be taken into account that the contactors of each group must be functionally interchangeable and do not create a disruption in the repair activities of the factory.

Is the classification correct only based on the following characteristics?

- type (AC-3, AC-1, ...)
- Amperage (A)
- Power Rating (kw)
- No. Of Poles
- Coil Voltage (V AC/DC)

For example, can I put two contactors 1 and 2 in one group and use each one when needed without worry?

1 - Schneider Electric LC1D18M7
2 - Siemens 3RT20181AP61

The specifications of each:

1 - https://mall.industry.siemens.com/mall/en/us/Catalog/Product/3RT20181AP61
2 - https://www.superbreakers.com/schne...wHq1bCQeXbURUAVQWXKlB5oXuHjKinj8aAlr5EALw_wcB

Last edited:

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
They appear to be compatible.
Of course the correct Coil voltage has to be observed, in the event you have various types, voltage AC/DC etc.
I think they needs adequate spacing between them if requires... I have build motor control center that failed just because poor spacing... and in this case with difference manufacture, I think it's better to choose greatest spacing requirements... or better to use one manufacture if possible... It's better to control with thermal imager too, if possible...

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Not sure what or why you mean about "adequate spacing"?
What is the reason for supposing they do? How was it poor spacing?
e.g. Reversing contactors are one unit and mechanically coupled.

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
Adequate spacing is enough spacing between contactor... so heat can dissipates properly...

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
In my case it's separated and not mechanically coupled... thermal imager indicates it's very hot, and when my colleague tried to made more spacing between contactors that's temperature cool down... in my case it's was in datacenter HVAC....

Before, contactor arrangements is, row one and two is all for clockwise (motor 1,2,...n), row three and four for counter clockwise (motor 1,2,...n)... with only 0.75 (14mm) din spacing between contactors...
After, contactor arrangements is, motor 1 clockwise, motor 1 counter-clockwise, etc... and spacing is about 1.5 din (27mm)... and after spacing and re-arrangements temperature is down significantly...

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
The only kind I experienced any significant heat from was the older style that had heater element style O/L's. ?
Yes... but I was try from may fault, it's affected by arrangements and spacing...
Proper arrangements for separated contactor is motor 1 cw, motor 1 ccw, motor 2 cw, motor 2 ccw, motor n cw, motor n ccw
NOT motor 1,2,3,...n cw, then motor 1,2,3...n ccw
and I have spacing idea from Schneider technical support... I am surprised too, if spacing can makes difference...

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
In my experience, contactors should not be overheating, it indicates some kind of resistance in the unit, that, or they are severally under-rated ?
They isn't not under-rated, voltage there is very stable... it's in datacenter environment... and not under-rated capacity too... it's about 80-90% capacity is used... and it's weekly switched... there is surge protector too in MCC...