Contactor coil 12V DC

abdtk

Joined Mar 10, 2007
HI every 1 i,m new here and want to know some kind of solution for "Telemecanique" contactor its coil volts mention 24V when i applied 12V DC by car battery after 15 minute it become too hot , i wish to use it atlest 2 hour duration, please let me know how i can?
=

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Apply 24 volts to the coil. It needs a certain level of power - a function of voltage and current - to function. With only 12 volts applied, the current draw will be too high. The coil will overheat.

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
Most contactor coils are designed for AC operation, not DC.... an Important consideration, as using DC on a coil designed to work on AC will normally fry it.

abdtk

Joined Mar 10, 2007
Hello All respectful members,
Thanks for reply, do you please guide me how can i convert this 24V coil to 12V DC coil, because the 12V dc coil is not available localy.
The contactor type, Telemecanique. CA2-DN1319-A65.
Thanks and waiting for earlier reply

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
It will be far more easy to modify the power supply than to modify the coil.
If it is a coil rated for 24Vdc (not 24Vac), then you can put two 12V batteries in series. If it is a coil rated for 24Vac (not 24Vdc), you will need a 24Vac source. Never hook up a 24Vac coil to a 24Vdc source - it will draw 41% more current than it is rated for!

wireaddict

Joined Nov 1, 2006
Make sure your contactor was made for DC, not AC as mentioned earlier. If it's a DC type then contact your nearest Telemecanique distributor; they should be able to get a 12 V coil for it.

abdtk

Joined Mar 10, 2007
Make sure your contactor was made for DC, not AC as mentioned earlier. If it's a DC type then contact your nearest Telemecanique distributor; they should be able to get a 12 V coil for it.
Hi,
The voltage on contactor are as, 20V/50HZ, 24V/60HZ so it is pointing as AC coil not DC, i,m looking to use for 12V Dc coil, so hoow can i ?

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
All you need to do is find a way of converting your 12Vdc battery supply into a 60Hz, 24Vrms supply. Then you will be able to use the coil you have. Another option is to get a different coil, one that is rated for 12Vdc.

wireaddict

Joined Nov 1, 2006
I doubt if you could get just a 12 VDC coil that would fit &, if so, the armature & stator core sections wouldn't work as efficiently. The core pieces are laminated for AC & should be solid for DC. So it looks like you have just 2 choices: get or build a 12 VDC to 20 VAC, 50 Hz. or 24 VAC, 60 Hz. inverter for the coil or get a DC contactor with a 12 VDC coil.