Connector pin tab broken

john2k

Joined Nov 14, 2019
Need some help. Having to disconnect a connector several times has led to a tab holding the pin in breaking and now one of the pins in my connector just comes out and isn't held in by the retaining metal tab. Pictures attached below.

How do I even know what kind of connector pin this is so I can go about ordering a replacement?

Any other ideas of how I can repair this ?

Attachments

john2k

Joined Nov 14, 2019
Slip it onto the contact making sure it is electrically connected and use hot melt glue at the top to keep it there.
Problem is once it's connected I can't actually see the connection as it's very restricted. So the only option is to fix it while it's disconnected. If I don't fix it then as I try and push it in then that pin just slides straight out when the other pin tries to enter it.

I was thinking I could put a blob of solder but risk is that it may fall in and block the connector itself

peterdeco

Joined Oct 8, 2019
Can't you feel it sliding onto the post? I use hot melt glue because the wire can be easily removed with a heat gun if something goes wrong.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
First, slide the pin into the body to the level of the other pins. Then, mark a line across on the wire, and the adjacent witres with an indelible marker That will serve as a reference to verify that it is inserted fully. Then, after it is inserted fully, you could apply some glue to the back if the connector.
Replacing is not an option because you are not able to crimp on the replacement adequately, and the wire would be too short.

john2k

Joined Nov 14, 2019
First, slide the pin into the body to the level of the other pins. Then, mark a line across on the wire, and the adjacent witres with an indelible marker That will serve as a reference to verify that it is inserted fully. Then, after it is inserted fully, you could apply some glue to the back if the connector.
Replacing is not an option because you are not able to crimp on the replacement adequately, and the wire would be too short.
Thanks I managed to apply a small dab of solder like this and that made it hard to reinsert, but with a bit of a push with a paper clip managed to get it in and then the solder lump now acts as a latch to stop it sliding out. I also just added a bit of superglue just for extra safety.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
What I have done is salvage and cut of the connector from an old piece of equipment.
Rather than recrimping the connector I would splice the cable with solder and heat shrink tubing.