Broken connector on Nespresso Machine PCB. Is that something that can be repaired?

amackenz1e

Joined Oct 30, 2020
Hello

I don't know much about Electronics but unfortunately broke a connector on my Nespresso machine's PCB while trying to DIY repair a mechanical part.

It's a type 2651 cable but when I tried to disconnect it, I pulled off the connector that was soldered to the PCB. I've attached pictures of where it was, what the cable looks like and what the connector I need probably looks like (at the other end, there is still one). I've googled connectors but can't find the right one.

Is this something an electrician could fix easily? I guess you need the right connector and you need to solder it back on?
Just wondering if I should give up and recycle the machine or try to get it repaired if it's easy and cheap enough to justify the cost (vs. new machine).

I don't have soldering skills so I doubt I can DIY this!

Thanks a million for your help. I imagine it's a pretty straightforward thing for experts but I may be wrong!
Alex

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Welcome to AAC!

Is the PCB connector still attached to the cable?
If yes, you need to remove the connector from the cable.
With a soldering iron with the finest tip (0.015") and solder (0.015") you can do this but you ought to practice on some scrap PCB first. You don't need a lot of solder (about 1" plus more if you need to practice).

amackenz1e

Joined Oct 30, 2020
Welcome to AAC!

Is the PCB connector still attached to the cable?
If yes, you need to remove the connector from the cable.
With a soldering iron with the finest tip (0.015") and solder (0.015") you can do this but you ought to practice on some scrap PCB first. You don't need a lot of solder (about 1" plus more if you need to practice).
Thanks for getting back to me! Unfortunately the PCB connector is broken and not reusable. (I made a real mess of this!)
Will a professional repairer have such connectors or are there loads of different types out there? I don't think I will attempt it myself on this.
Thanks

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
It would be unlikely that a repair store (if one still exists) would have such a connector in stock. Out-of-the-ordinary connectors can be purchased if one can tolerated the single unit price and shipping charges.

Electronic appliance repair stores no longer exist because it has become cheaper to throw away and buy a new one than to repair. The cost of "externalities" has yet to be factored into the cost of consumerism. We will all end up paying for the environmental destruction in the long run.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
That was a surface mount 6 position single row connector. Probably it exists but it can't be found. BUT if you are able to solder with a steady hand and lots of patience you should be able to repair the connection. I hope that you still have the broken pieces because they are what you need to more easily do the repair. If not, you need a bit of solid wire the same diameter as the pins of that connector. The idea being to solder the pins, or the wire replacements, to those six pads on the circuit board, and then anchor them with a drop or 2 of epoxy. I can provide detailed instructions if you want to try that approach.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If you can show us a sharp, well focused photo of the mating part on the cable we may be able to find you the connector.
What is the width of the 6-conductor ribbon cable?

amackenz1e

Joined Oct 30, 2020
If you can show us a sharp, well focused photo of the mating part on the cable we may be able to find you the connector.
What is the width of the 6-conductor ribbon cable?
Thanks fir you help. See pictures attached. I also attach the broken connector. One of the 6 pins is Broken on there but the plastic housing, too. IMG_3487.jpegIMG_3487.jpegIMG_3489.jpegIMG_3490.jpegIMG_3491.jpeg

Attachments