connecting test wires to drill hole points

didvidyn

Joined Jul 18, 2017
Whats the best way to connect to the tiny drill holes on the pcb ? I need to connect to certain points / pcb drill holes just to test circuit. I tried inserting solid wire into the hole but wire just bends. Tried to solder wire to it but the holes metal are so tiny the solder doesn’t stick.

ajune

Joined Oct 24, 2017
Hi,
Try to soldered on the top of hole (start wire )and extent the other end of the wire to be soldered on the top of your choice hole.
Use a thin wire and careful of soldering it.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
The gloss of all the parts and board make me think the board was sprayed or dipped into a clear polymer to preserve the board. You’ll have to scrape or dissolve the polymer before trying to solder.
Bingo... Sure looks like its got some conformal coating on it.. As such you need to get through that first before you can access the connection properly..
A sharp lead of a test probe may be all you need.. Make sure to repair that void in the coating after testing..

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I also agree the board looks to be coated so any coating must be removed by scraping it or using a chemical stripper and the latter is messy so try scrapping and cleaning with some isopropanol alcohol.

Ron

didvidyn

Joined Jul 18, 2017
Yea it's definitely coated, I scrape off alittle with exacto knife than burn remains with the soldering iron. is that good practice to do ? Than I try soldering to the holes, but my solder is non-lead so it doesn't wanna stick to the holes and there's so little surface area to heat the metal of the holes.
Just ordered lead solder, will try with that when it arrives.