Connecting my Curiosity HPC with my PC through Bluetooth

StrongPenguin

Joined Jun 9, 2018
Ok, I am probably way in over my head, but here goes.

I am in the midst of buying stuff for my RC-boat, which is planned to have a few more features than a regular RC-boat. It will be equipped with an Curiosity HPC, two thrusters, wind and direction sensor (made two myself, couldn't find the right fit), gyroscope and a GPS.

The idea is to make an auto-heading function, so the boat is automatically keeping it's course, adjusting the thrusters to keep on track, if there is some side wind.

Now, what is the best way to communicate with the boat from land? I was thinking Bluetooth, what would I need to buy to get this up and running? HC-06? mikroBUS Click BT module (quite expensive)? I also need something to hook up to my computer, right?

In time, my plan is to also be able to direct the boat via GPS. Like, "move 5 meters starboard and hold". But I will probably need some experience before that.

I don't have any schematics to show, as I haven't gotten that far yet. Would like to get a hold on the needed parts, as it takes ages to deliver to my country.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi SP,
What operating range do you want for the Radio control, Bluetooth is limited to say 5mtrs.
Perhaps HC12 TX/RX modules would be an alternative

E

StrongPenguin

Joined Jun 9, 2018
@ericgibbs I was hoping for at least 20 meters. Thought Bluetoooth would reach that far. The HC12 looks interesting, I see AAC has an article on it. Is it PIC16F18875 compatible?

StrongPenguin

Joined Jun 9, 2018
@ericgibbs The HC12 uses something called URAT, which I've never heard of before. Google hasen't either, so I'm guessing it's a typo. From the looks of it, I can use the HC12, which fits my needs perfectly.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Hi,
The URAT is a d/s typo, it is of course UART..

The can buy and fit dipole antenna's to HC12 to improve its range.

I use the HC12 on data-logging projects, work OK.
E

StrongPenguin

Joined Jun 9, 2018
What hardware do I need for the PC side? Just another HC 12? It's not needed for the PC to receive any information. Maybe that comes later. Suppose it will also need some USB plug since the HC12 board just comes with holes..

StrongPenguin

Joined Jun 9, 2018
Ok, I ordered three different types for the PC end, just in case. I read the FT232 was a bitch sketch to use, because of the original maker did something with the software, that bricked the module, and the MCU:confused: Don't know if this has been fixed, better look into that.

StrongPenguin

Joined Jun 9, 2018
That was a great tip. I will order one of those. Two actually, they are cheap. I've also ordered two other types, just in case.