Connecting multiple AC to DC power supplies in parallel to one cord.

Dowapa

Joined Sep 3, 2021
I'm working on putting together a mobile work station that consists of my laptop, an eGPU rig, and external monitor. These 3 devices take a 65W(19.5V, 3.3 A), A 12V (150 W Max), and a 60W (12V, 5A) AC to DC power supplies (respectively). I want to connect these three to a single cable that I plug into the wall (Standard USA 110VAC). I thought about just connecting them all to a power strip and then plugging that into a wall... but that leaves a lot of extra cord and weight to what is supposed to be a "mobile" system.

Isn't a power strip just a fancy way of connecting these cables in parallel? Could I not just cut and solder the cables into a parallel arrangement to achieve the same effect? That way, I could house the converters in a small plastic casing; running one cord to the wall, and the other three cords to their respective devices.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
Could I not just cut and solder the cables into a parallel arrangement to achieve the same effect? That way, I could house the converters in a small plastic casing; running one cord to the wall, and the other three cords to their respective devices.
I wouldn't recommend doing that.

Even though what you plan to do is akin to plugging them in to a multi-outlet power strip, it won't have approval by any approving agency and you will assume responsibility for any consequences (i.e. a fire that burns your residence down).

Dowapa

Joined Sep 3, 2021
Welcome to AAC!
I wouldn't recommend doing that.

Even though what you plan to do is akin to plugging them in to a multi-outlet power strip, it won't have approval by any approving agency and you will assume responsibility for any consequences (i.e. a fire that burns your residence down).
Thank you for the welcome, and that is decent advice. I did have concerns about safety in general, but didn't consider the legal side of things.

Use a
View attachment 247201
C14 to C13 splitter
I didn't know such a thing existed! I don't think it helps my particular case, because I'm trying to connect multiple laptop chargers (that use the polarized connector type cord from the wall), but I'll look for something similar and maybe I'll be able to find one that works.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I did have concerns about safety in general, but didn't consider the legal side of things.
It's only a problem if something happens that gets insurance companies or other authorities involved. If you burn your house down, you insurance company would like nothing better than to be able to blame it on you and deny any claims. What they care most about is collecting premiums and paying out as little as possible.

Something like this maybe?
1630697358827.png
If the cords aren't detachable, you're still going to have to deal with the weight and bulk.

Dowapa

Joined Sep 3, 2021
If the cords aren't detachable, you're still going to have to deal with the weight and bulk.
Something like that would probably be best. I'll look for some short length Pwr+ 3 prong connectors that will allow me to cut down on wire length.

I'm under no illusion that this setup is going to be both weighty and bulky, I'm just trying to cut out as much weight as possible.

Thanks for the advice!