Connecting ESP32 Module to PS4 controller via Bluetooth

kirito23

Joined Jul 21, 2018
Hello,

I recently ordered an Arduino MKR WIFI 1010 that includes a built-in ESP32 module, allowing for Bluetooth connectivity, which I would like to connect a PS4 controller to control my project. I was searching other modules for examples and I learned that the HC-05 wouldn’t work for this because it only works with SPP and the PS4 controller does not. Would this be the same case with the ESP32 or will it connect to the controller via Bluetooth without problems?

Thank you,

Hello,

I recently ordered an Arduino MKR WIFI 1010 that includes a built-in ESP32 module, allowing for Bluetooth connectivity, which I would like to connect a PS4 controller to control my project. I was searching other modules for examples and I learned that the HC-05 wouldn’t work for this because it only works with SPP and the PS4 controller does not. Would this be the same case with the ESP32 or will it connect to the controller via Bluetooth without problems?

Thank you,
Welcome to AAC.

Potentially, yes. But do not expect a typically easy-to-use Arduino ESP32 library for BLE, because bluetooth programming for what you are describing is more complicated. There is a decent library for ESP32 BLE that builds on the Espressif material (see here), but do not expect to just seamlessly use this with the 1010 out of the box.

Modules like the HC-05 are limited to SPP and they are simple to use because all of the heavy lifting has already been done in the firmware. When you get beyond that, programming gets somewhat more complicated very quickly - keep that in mind.

I was playing around with my MKR1010 this morning - it has promise.

kirito23

Joined Jul 21, 2018
Thank you for your feedback. I'm still waiting for my MKR1010 and I look forward to learning whatever you can find out about using it as a Bluetooth HID host.