Connecting ATX power supplies in series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wall_

Joined Sep 11, 2013
Hi, if I connect two or more power ATX power supplies in series I have to make sure only one of them has the secondary grounded, right?
I intend to connect 3 in series.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Somebody is going to find out about ATX PSU's the hard way.
If you don't understand the danger involved, don't do it.

wall_

Joined Sep 11, 2013
But what's the difference between isolating the pcb from the case or simply unearthing the chassis? Isn't the earth connection just a path for the electricity to flow in case a live wire burns out and touches the case?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Hmmm. ! :rolleyes:
Can't you see those blue capacitors grounding the negative sides ?
Can't you see those blue capacitors connecting the primary and secondary grounds ?
Try removing those and see what happens to PSU when you power it up.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
But what's the difference between isolating the pcb from the case or simply unearthing the chassis? Isn't the earth connection just a path for the electricity to flow in case a live wire burns out and touches the case?

You can remove the Earth link to the Negative output, and leave the case connected to earth easily.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The input AC side is generally totally isolated from the DC output side, often there is just a short foil trace that goes from the DC neg to case earth.
If this is removed the DC side is isolated from earth GND. and the supply will continue to operate.
At least this has how it has been done on the older style (pre ATX) version.
I think this is the link @Dodgydave is referring to.
Max.

wall_

Joined Sep 11, 2013
These are very old ATX power supplies that still have -5V and -12V.
What would happen if I simply remove the earth wire from the case?

wall_

Joined Sep 11, 2013
This psu with pfc won't turn on, shouldn't the purple 5Vsb always put out 5V even when off? The green wire won't turn the psu on and I can measure 0.2~0.25V on it.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
If it has no standby power then it won't turn on. The standby supply is a separate small switch mode supply which is always on when mains power is connected. Clearly that standby supply is defunct.

wall_

Joined Sep 11, 2013
What I wanted to hear, one less piece of trash in my bedroom.
Now, I unearthed one of the psu's and tied them in series and got 24V and I don't get shocked when touching the case. The unearthed supply was the closest to the "negative".
Would I need to unearth the second psu if I wanted to use the -12V to create 48V?

wall_

Joined Sep 11, 2013
Actually, when I measured the 24V across the tied supplies the unearthed was the closest to the "positive".

Status
Not open for further replies.