Connecting Arduino Board to Arduino Application

carlosh11934

Joined Sep 29, 2022
I hope that I posted this in the proper area. If not, please refer me to the correct area.

I'm trying to connect an Arduino board wirelessly, but the details provided by the article I'm following are a little ambiguous. I could sure use some help. I'm following the instructions from https://www.instructables.com/Arduino-WeMos-D1-WiFi-UNO-ESP-8266-IoT-IDE-Compati/

As you can see on the attached photo just by plugging in the 9 volt battery, some LEDs turn on by default, but the red one is hard to see on the photo. Following the instructions from the link above, step 2 ends with making connections to the board. Step 3 gets into the setup of the Arduino application code.

Here's my question: Did I miss something? Should the Arduino board be connected to the PC running the Arduino software in order to program it? Please advice or ask for further clarification if needed.

Carlos

Attachments

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Yes, there is a USB connector in the Arduino board near the green LED on your breadboard.
connect to that with a USB cable. You'll need to select the right Arduino board and correct Port number from your PC (from a pull-down menu in your Arduino IDE).
It is possible to program these ESP8266 and ESP32 boards wirelessly but, I'll leave that as an advanced class.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
OK as mentioned you have your LEDs right in the way of the board's USB connector. They will need moved so you can use that USB connector. Next you want to copy this URL from the instructible.

Just copy it. Open your Arduino IDE. From File choose Preferences. That will open a new window. You will see Additional Boards Manager URLs. Paste the above URL in that space. If you already have a URL in there just move down below it and paste the URL in. Now they don't mention it but after adding the URL to the boards manager you close the Arduino IDE and then open it again. Now you should be able to complete step 4. You should be able to continue with the Boards Manager.

Ron

carlosh11934

Joined Sep 29, 2022
Thanks for the help MrSalts & Reloadron!

Ok, I followed the steps, but hit a brick wall when it came to selecting the board. As you can see on the pics, none of the names resemble my board. What gives?

CarlosWeemos 1.jpgWeemos 2.jpgWeemos 3.jpg

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The above link will help. It looks like you need to do the second part of Step 4. Your boards manager is only shoeing Arduino AVR Boards and not the ESP8266 Boards. Following Step 4 you should see the following:

ESP8266 Board Manager.png

Use the link MrSalts provided which should get things straight for you.

Ron

carlosh11934

Joined Sep 29, 2022
This is really difficult, but I do seem to be making progress. Please don't lose your patience with me now. LOL
OK, I've included:
1. A screenprint that shows what board I'm using
2. A file that shows the code I ran
3. A file that shows the error I got.

What's wrong now?

CarlosBoard.jpg

Attachments

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Why don't you start out with one of the ESp8266 example server sketches. When you loaded theESP8266 board profiles (tutorial in my previous post), some examples were also loaded for the Arduino IDE). Under FILE, you should see "EXAMPLES". Click the drop down and there should be options for the ESP8266 board. Some for server, some for client and so on.

Or, here is an excellent example.
https://lastminuteengineers.com/creating-esp8266-web-server-arduino-ide/

Compare this to your code if you want and try to debug.
Also, what are you trying to do with "COM5? Your ESP doesn't know what COM5 is. If you want to load the sketch onto the EsP8266 using COM5, you have to select that in the drop down menus in the ARDUINO IDE, not write it into the sketch.

Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Welcome to AAC.

@MrSalts is giving good advice when he suggests using examples. Right now your problem is that you haven’t included the library (WiFiNINA) you are trying to use, and unfortunately, even if you did it (probably) wouldn’t work because it is written for a different architecture.

Generally, if you see errors that say ”not defined” when you try to use variables coming from a library you indtend to use it will mean you either haven’t included it, or you have the names wrong.

The ESP8266 examples include all the ode you will need using a compatible library. It‘s a very good starting point.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
OK I looked deeper into the Instructable you linked to Specifically when they get to step 6. and mention "Then, open your Arduino IDE, go to [Files => Examples => Blynk => Boards Wifi =>Standalone] for the example code". I doubt you will find that the reason being:
ESP8266 Standalone

This documentation is for the LEGACY version of Blynk platform which is no longer supported and will be shut down.
You can sign up for the current version of Blynk platform here.
The new mobile apps can be downloaded from App Store and Google Play.
The actual Blynk documentation is here.

I also agree as to select something simple from the Blybk Examples and get it working and then move on.

Ron