Connecting ADMP401 to computer

icydash

Joined Jan 14, 2009
Hi,

I'm trying to connect an ADMP401 (MEMS microphone) to my computer so that I can record audio input from the chip and analyze the data later. My computer is a laptop and only has a microphone input (which I think means I probably can't use the Sparkfun breakout board here, since it has an amplifier stage).

My question is: can I just take a 3.5mm cable, strip it, and attach all the ground pins on the chip itself (here) to the jack's sleeve and the output pin of the chip to the jack's tip? If so, what do I attach the voltage pin on the chip to?

Or do I need to attach the ground and voltage pins on the chip to a 3.5v source and the output pin of the chip to the jack's tip? If so, what do I attached the jack's sleeve to?

Also, do I need to attach all of the ground pins on the chip to ground, or just one of them? Is there a reason there's like, 4 ground pins?

Any tips on good/free recording software that I can use to record the audio input and look at the results in the frequency spectrum (FFT)?

Thanks!

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
...can I just take a 3.5mm cable, strip it, and attach all the ground pins on the chip itself (here) to the jack's sleeve and the output pin of the chip to the jack's tip?
Nope, the mic needs a power supply.
If so, what do I attach the voltage pin on the chip to?
The chip needs 1.5 to 3.3V.

Or do I need to attach the ground and voltage pins on the chip to a 3.5v source and the output pin of the chip to the jack's tip? If so, what do I attached the jack's sleeve to?
Microphone ground can be the same as computer ground, so yes the sleeve can also be connected to chip ground.
Also, do I need to attach all of the ground pins on the chip to ground, or just one of them? Is there a reason there's like, 4 ground pins?
My brief overview of the data sheet suggests to me that yes, they all need to be connected.
Any tips on good/free recording software that I can use to record the audio input and look at the results in the frequency spectrum (FFT)?
What OS?