Connecting 115V primary on a Toroidal power transformer

ProWannaBe

Joined Feb 13, 2017
Hello again! I really appreciate this forum and your time in helping me! Thanks in advance for any and all help given on this issue! I have a toroidal transformer that has 5 wires on the primary side? I know that it can be hooked up in parallel for a 115V primary or in series for a 230V primary. I have an image of the wiring schematic included.

The problem that i am having is figuring out where to hook the fifth wire and which wire to connect to which other wire for the 115V primary to work?

This is what i think i should do based on the image below of the schematic.
Do i connect Blk to Org and White to Red? And if so, what do i do with the brn wire? And if i am not correct at all, please correct me.

As said above, thank you so much in advance for your help!!!

Toroidal_Primary_Wiring.jpg

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Is Red & Orange Primary and just another secondary.

One way is to apply 120VAC to white and black (leave brown) and then measure voltage at RED & ORANGE.
If Red and Orange is a primary you will get 120VAC.
Just in case post the Voltage measured in the secondaries too.
Post back the result

ProWannaBe

Joined Feb 13, 2017
Hello,

Do you have a datasheet?
Then look in it.

Bertus
Unfortunately not as it is a used part and i cannot find one! The schematic i have is what is stuck on the side of the coil. The Brand name is RP10S . I also have a number on the coil, but i cannot find any information! Thank you!

ProWannaBe

Joined Feb 13, 2017
Is Red & Orange Primary and just another secondary.

One way is to apply 120VAC to white and black (leave brown) and then measure voltage at RED & ORANGE.
If Red and Orange is a primary you will get 120VAC.
Just in case post the Voltage measured in the secondaries too.
Post back the result
I know that Red and Orange are primary. I also know that blk, whi and or brn are also primary, but i do not know what to do with the brn wire? If I wanted 230V i would do something like hook red to blk and then hook a 115V line to orange and a 115V line to either white or brn.

However i would want to connect in parallel since i want to have 115V primary on both primary windings. It's the extra wire that is confusing me. If i hook up only 1 primary winding to 115V like red and orange; it would only feed the secondary 14.7V windings only. And if i knew what to do with the extra brn wire on the blk and white side of the primary, i should get 33.8 V on the secondary windings as well.

Thank you for your help.

ProWannaBe

Joined Feb 13, 2017
Hello,

Can you post a sharp picture of the sticker with the numbers?

Bertus
This is the best that i can do as i am wanting to buy this transformer from someone for an upcoming project and this is the best picture i have at the moment of the transformer. I just want to make sure that i know how to wire it correctly before i buy it and they do not know enough about it!

Numbers are: CQC03001004713

Transformer_schematic.jpg

ProWannaBe

Joined Feb 13, 2017
If cannot do what I ask, I cannot help.
It is not my intentions at all on offending you! I currently just do not have it in my possession to do what you ask. The seller does not know how to wire it and is no help! I am making sure that i can wire it correctly before i purchase it and it's coming from another state so i cannot do what you ask.

Thanks for your help!!!

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
No worries. I thought you had it. My bad.

Leave out brown. Or cut it and insulate it
Connect black and Red.
Apply 230VAC to White and Orange

ProWannaBe

Joined Feb 13, 2017
Hello,

Can you measure the resistance between all primairy connections?

Bertus
I am wanting to buy it and it will be coming from another state. But i wanted to get help with making sure i could wire it first before i spent the money to buy it as they are not cheap! The seller is no help as they seem to not know what to do with it!

Thank you for your help!!!

ProWannaBe

Joined Feb 13, 2017
No worries. I thought you had it. My bad.

Leave out brown. Or cut it and insulate it
Connect black and Red.
Apply 230VAC to White and Orange
I need it to work with 115V primary only. Can i still cut the brn and wire it in parallel for 115V?

ProWannaBe

Joined Feb 13, 2017
Hello,

Can you measure the resistance between all primairy connections?

Bertus
No , unfortunately i have not bought it yet. I am making sure that i know how to wire the primary windings up for only 115V before i purchase it. The seller does not know what to do with the wiring so i am on my own unless someone here can help me to understand why it has a brn wire and a white wire along with the blk wire on the primary side that steps down the voltage to 33.8V? If it only had a white wire and a blk wire, i would have no trouble with the rest of it! But that brn wire confuses me!

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
To check that you need to buy it.
It can be wired to 115VAC but we need to know the resistance of the primaries to parallel them

ProWannaBe

Joined Feb 13, 2017
Okay I found someone online who knew what to do. The white wire is only to be used if i use 230V on the primary! So for 115V primary I would wire Red to Brown and Orange to blk and connect my 115V- Hot and common wires to them as wired in parallel!

Thank you very much for your time!!!

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Wow !
You are gonna leave out the thermal fuse or the fused line out.

That guy really knows what he is doing.
Good luck.

ProWannaBe

Joined Feb 13, 2017
That will be relocated to the line feeding the 115V primary. I cannot use a 230V primary! The white is for a 230V primary setup. The Brown wire is for a 115V primary setup. Pretty simple once i was told how to connect it.