Confused on how to use thyristor pack for rectification.

jbag

Joined Apr 5, 2017
I have some thyristor packs that I want to use to rectify my ac power supply to dc for a homemade welder. Thyristor is Semikron semipack 2 SSKT 162/16 E. The data sheet says the gate voltage should be max of 2v and max current of 150 ma. I have re-purposed two microwave oven transformers for a stick welder. I have these thyristor packs on hand (courtesy of my job) and would like to use them to rectify the ac output to dc. I can't seem to understand what i need to do as far as the gate trigger. I have three of them and I would like to use two for a 220v power supply for my homemade welder project.

01H8025-40.jpg
Source.

01H8025-500.jpg
Source.

jbag

Joined Apr 5, 2017
I have never used thyristors before. I have to admit I'm still foggy on how there properly used. These come off a working magnet system on a crane and used to pick up huge slabs. With just the thyristors themselves, can they be used as diodes to rectify AC to DC? I assumed with the gate triggered it would act as a diode.

jbag

Joined Apr 5, 2017
With the packs I have the gate needs to be no more than 2 volts to trigger. If fed with 120 like in the circuit of the motor starter , could I use resistors and a capacitor if the proper voltage was there. The diodes I assume are to keep the power positive going to the gate.

jbag

Joined Apr 5, 2017
I know it's a waste to use them instead of a normal bridge, but I'm really just trying to learn while experimenting with devices that I have on hand.

jbag

Joined Apr 5, 2017
Just to get this straight in my head. The resistor is lowering current into the gate right? What about the voltage into the gate?

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I've Used large SCR modules for high powered rectifiers many times. I usually just put a 1/4 watt 50 - 100 ohm resistor across the gate and Anode and called it good.

As soon as the gate to cathode voltage goes over the triggering voltage, 1- 2 volts, the main conducting regions for he Anode To Cathode conduction paths fire up and essentially bypass that Gate to Anode current flow.

If something goes wrong and a gate overcurrent event happens the 1/4 watt resistor tends to burn up before the gate gives up.