Completed Project Confused about whether these test equipments are enough for troubleshooting

Rahulk70

Joined Dec 16, 2016
Hi everyone,

I'm working in a petrochemical analysing lab and they have plenty of different equipments there. I was told by the lab supervisor to get a list of electronic devices or equipments for troubleshooting and repairing the lab equipments . I won't be building any circuits its only for repairing purpose. I have made a list to get the following stuffs:

1. Fluke 87-V Digital multi-meter
2. Mutli-tip Soldering station(5-60W) and Soldering gun (150W-Weller).
3. Wire snipping pliers plus crimper
4. Xcelite TCS100ST tool case
5. Digital Oscilloscope
6. Spool of “rosin-core” solder
7. Utility knife with retracting blade
8. Slip-joint pliers
9. Shear cutter
10. ESD-safe tweezers
11. Soldering iron third hand tool
12. Desoldering wick
13. Alligator clips
14. LCR Meter
15. Variable CV-CC power supply

Thank you.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Very important what recklessrog said. What are you repairing?
(You aren't. If you were qualified to repair the equipment, you would know what you need for the job.)
So, start at the beginning. We can't tell if you're repairing the coffee maker or a 100 MHz oscilloscope.

Last edited:

Rahulk70

Joined Dec 16, 2016
Can you provide a list of the equipment you will need to maintain, then we would have a better idea of what you will need.
Well I can't specifically say which one I'll be repairing since there are small equipments like resistivity tester to bigger equipments worth millions of $$. But I'll be doing only those repairs that are general i.e the small repairs. Anything beyond that I can't handle will be taken care of by the equipment contractor. Especially the very expensive ones.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
The best way to do this, is to throw money at it. Hire a company that specializes in repair and calibration of lab equipment, someone from US or UK or France or Germany.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
If it is a half way descent/professional lab.......you will have a full range of classical wet chem apparatus, and several types of spectrometers.

A lab is not allowed to calibrate it's own equipment. Unless it's a cal lab.

Electrical and mechanical tools for the wet chem. A meter and scope for scales and controllers.

Spare boards, elements and parts for the spectrometers. Always interrogate service techs.

Make friends with lab manager. He is your resource for your needs.

Rahulk70

Joined Dec 16, 2016
Last edited:

Rahulk70

Joined Dec 16, 2016
If it is a half way descent/professional lab.......you will have a full range of classical wet chem apparatus, and several types of spectrometers.

A lab is not allowed to calibrate it's own equipment. Unless it's a cal lab.

Electrical and mechanical tools for the wet chem. A meter and scope for scales and controllers.

Spare boards, elements and parts for the spectrometers. Always interrogate service techs.

Make friends with lab manager. He is your resource for your needs.
As far as I was made aware I won't be handling the very expensive equipment's right away until the vendor gives the required training. But from then on I'll have to handle it.

Rahulk70

Joined Dec 16, 2016
The best way to do this, is to throw money at it. Hire a company that specializes in repair and calibration of lab equipment, someone from US or UK or France or Germany.
Yes most of the time the service is done by people who come from the US or the UK here. But they do want to train a few of us in-house by the vendor in case the service technician isn't available and if its a small issue that can be handled in-house.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Yes most of the time the service is done by people who come from the US or the UK here. But they do want to train a few of us in-house by the vendor in case the service technician isn't available and if its a small issue that can be handled in-house.
Well.
You know the models of the equipment. You can or should have service manuals for the pieces of equipment. Those service manuals will have lists of test equipment that you need to service the equipment. Therefore. You don't need asking us. You have all the information. We have none.

JUNELER

Joined Jul 13, 2015
Hi,
Are you doing a component or board level repair in your department. Hopefully
you have a knowledge of electronics servicing.

Secondly, if your company have a big budget for buying those you listed devices you want,
go ahead,its your chance to experience to use it and to be familiar with it.

Rahulk70

Joined Dec 16, 2016
Well.
You know the models of the equipment. You can or should have service manuals for the pieces of equipment. Those service manuals will have lists of test equipment that you need to service the equipment. Therefore. You don't need asking us. You have all the information. We have none.
Well you are right. But lets for the moment ignore the lab servicing part and say that I'm setting up an electronics lab. Is the above mentioned parts enough? I've updated the initial post