Compact power supply help

voidofsanity

Joined Aug 25, 2019
I am currently trying to construct a portable power supply capable of producing between 5 and 10 volts and between .1 and .5 amps.
My plan is to use a couple of 18650 batteries with a buck converter but as the attached diagram may suggest I don't really know what I'm doing.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

voidofsanity

Joined Aug 25, 2019
Thanks for the reply max but you may need to put it in terms that someone who's only electronics background is essentially none. I was hoping to try and use existing components for this project if at all possible. But I am going to devote the my immediate future to understanding your circuit diagram.

voidofsanity

Joined Aug 25, 2019
Where could I download the aforementioned "LM311 spec sheet"?

Thanks again for your assistance and patience with my noobish inquiries max.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
My suggestion would be to open up the datasheet and read one paragraph at a time. Write down questions you have and come back here and ask. You only learn if you put forth the effort.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
My suggestion, respond to the original question.

I don't see any obvious problems.

What is the voltage of each battery?

Assuming it is around 3.6 V, why do you think you need four of them in series?

What are you going to power with this regulator?

Please post a link to the regulator page.

ak

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
I am currently trying to construct a portable power supply capable of producing between 5 and 10 volts and between .1 and .5 amps.
My plan is to use a couple of 18650 batteries with a buck converter but as the attached diagram may suggest I don't really know what I'm doing.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
You're probably better off buying a ready made regulator pcb....

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32787...Ji1LmI64XMeCltHLOtcwTmMblhhOBQUO1566809855823

voidofsanity

Joined Aug 25, 2019
My suggestion, respond to the original question.

I don't see any obvious problems. ak
Thanks

What is the voltage of each battery?

Assuming it is around 3.6 V, why do you think you need four of them in series?ak
Yes they are 3.6 V. I thought I would need 4 of them to get the maximum of 12 volts that I need.

What are you going to power with this regulator?ak
Basically an old doorbell and an electric motor.

You're probably better off buying a ready made regulator pcb....

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32787...Ji1LmI64XMeCltHLOtcwTmMblhhOBQUO1566809855823
After looking around I found this as it allows adjustments of volts and amps. Still not sure if it's what I'm after. I may just order a couple and experiment.
http://www.icstation.com/adjustable...verter-display-voltage-regulator-p-13409.html
Thanks again for the continued help.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Thanks

Yes they are 3.6 V. I thought I would need 4 of them to get the maximum of 12 volts that I need.

Basically an old doorbell and an electric motor.

After looking around I found this as it allows adjustments of volts and amps. Still not sure if it's what I'm after. I may just order a couple and experiment.
http://www.icstation.com/adjustable...verter-display-voltage-regulator-p-13409.html
Thanks again for the continued help.
Yes this will do what you need, upto 3Amp will be ok, any more, then a bigger heatsink is required.

Last edited:

voidofsanity

Joined Aug 25, 2019
Most doorbells run on 16 Vac, not 10 Vdc. An old exception is a clanger type, the kind that goes Brrrrrrrrring as the button is held.

ak
The brrrrrrrrrrring type is exactly the type I am referring to. I need to be able to adjust the brrrringiness between 5 and 10 volts at no more than half an amp. Sorry for the vagueness as to the application I'm trying to be somewhat secretive at this point. I'd be happy to share the full details over PM if you think it would help.