combatting ripple CURRENT in flyback topology

jlawley1969

Joined Feb 22, 2021
I have a flyback circuit and I am trying to size the output primary filter capacitors (the ones directly after the diode on the secondary side). Basically I am at a point where I do not want to change the transformer and limited by size constrains so its not practical to use a massive capacitor with high ripple current rating.

I have gotten the circuit to work with 3 100uF capacitors in parallel but I am worried about long term reliability. Like I know I could use capacitors with longer life to account for the degradation from above the ripple rating.

So I am looking for some way to control the current ripple spikes before it comes in contact with the capacitors. Sort of like a TVS diode but for current. unsure if there is such a thing.
thanks

ive included the circuit and my input is 110VAC and want to output 5V at 2A with a safety margin upto 3A

Attachments

jlawley1969

Joined Feb 22, 2021
so I spent some more time looking and there are things called "current regulating diodes" and ive decided to not just find parts that fit with the ripple current I expect. but i will leave this up for posterity

so I spent some more time looking and there are things called "current regulating diodes" and ive decided to not just find parts that fit with the ripple current I expect. but i will leave this up for posterity
Hi jlawley1969,
I have a similar interest for a 160 V forward design for an EV charger. Could you tell me what kind of "current regulating diodes" you are talking about? Thanks in advance.