Coil can be replaced by Inductor for a bridge rectifier?

yugant

Joined Sep 27, 2014
I have a copper coil (1000 turns) which is connected to a bridge rectifier (W10G-E4/51). I need 100 of these for my project. I have attached images for the prototype model that I received. but for 100 of these the labor charges are high for mounting the rectifier on the coil as shown. My question is - can I replace coil by an inductor or get a different rectifier?. Please suggest any different ideas.

Attachments

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I have a copper coil (1000 turns) which is connected to a bridge rectifier (W10G-E4/51). I need 100 of these for my project. I have attached images for the prototype model that I received. but for 100 of these the labor charges are high for mounting the rectifier on the coil as shown. My question is - can I replace coil by an inductor or get a different rectifier?. Please suggest any different ideas.
Not sure I understand your question. This is your rectifier. Its datasheet says that it's capable of handling up to 1Kv, and 1.5A.

Regarding the coil, is it part of a transformer? electromagnet? or is it being used merely as an inductor? A look at the whole circuit would be necessary to give you an informed opinion.

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
In addition to what cmartinez asks, why does the rectifier need to be mounted on the coil? If being mounted on the coil/inductor is integral to the application then the answer is no. You do know that a coil IS is an inductor?

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Just looks to me like a DC coil with its own BR (Bridge Rectifier). If you need 100 coils (Coils ARE inductors) then just get 100 of them without the BR and power them from a DC source.

To get some very reliable help you'll have to give us more details. Voltage would be a help to know. You've already been asked what this coil is for. That's a valid question because if it's going to be an "Inductor" then it may or may not require an iron (or ferrite) core. If it's a transformer then where is the primary? And what voltage does IT run on? What ratio (transformation from 120 to 12 (for instance) is a 10:1 ratio)? If it's a solenoid (electro magnet) how much force does it need to pull? What is the inductance rated in ohms (not the same as measuring ohms)?

Good help is the spawn of good information, purpose and understanding. Give us more detail and you'll get a better answer.

yugant

Joined Sep 27, 2014
Sorry guys for the incomplete information. Yes the coil is acting as an electromagnet. The purpose is to control the gas valve. I think I could not use a inductor just because the coil helps to control the valve. Any suggestions on the design? Should I use a different SMT rectifier and create a circuit through the terminals shown ? Any suggestions that would save my cost to create this model would really help.

Thank You guys for all responses

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Sorry guys for the incomplete information
Still incomplete.

What I now know: You're operating a solenoid that is designed to handle AC or DC (polarity not specific). Still don't know what voltage, whether it's AC or DC, whether I'm right about it being allowable to disregard how you're applying current to the solenoid. And solenoid is exactly what you have. It's not an inductor (not in the sense of what an inductor does, but technically, all coils are inductors).

If you're looking for an alternative, if you have an AC source and are using this type of solenoid then you should look for a solenoid that is rated for the voltage AND for the AC current. If you're using DC, I don't see any reason why DC would care which polarity is applied to the coil (Solenoid - AKA Inductor).

yugant

Joined Sep 27, 2014
My input to the coil would be 220V AC. Yes I agree that its not an inductor but a electromagnet. Can you give me an example of a solenoid that I can use in this case and how would I connect that to the rectifier to convert it to DC?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
My input to the coil would be 220V AC. Yes I agree that its not an inductor but a electromagnet. Can you give me an example of a solenoid that I can use in this case and how would I connect that to the rectifier to convert it to DC?
And do you have data on the coil itself? What's it's rated voltage? Maximum duty cycle?

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Contact the manufacturer of the solenoid. Inquire of them if they have an AC coil for that unit. Tell them how you want to apply your voltage to it and ask them if they have any recommendations.

To be honest, I've never seen a coil (solenoid or otherwise) that had a mounted Bridge Rectifier (BR). For some reason they engineered it that way, and I can't imagine why. But I'm not highly experienced with coils, inductors, electro magnets and solenoids. The solenoids I've played with have been low voltage stuff. Some AC some DC. Since you're working with high voltage it's strongly recommended you go through the manufacturer of that solenoid.

If your purpose is to use this coil in some different application, we'll need to know before we can advise you how to safely do this. And one of the taboo topics on this website is talking about mains voltage (the voltage you get out of a plug or from the grid - whether it's 120 or 240).

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
yugant....this ain't horseshoes, it's electronics. Submit labelled schematic....voltage and current levels and data sheets.

Explain the application.

A sloppy question will get you lots of sloppy answers.

And with 100 coils......review peak and holding solenoid current.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Have you already bought the solenoids? Give us more context for your project. 100 valves.....independently controlled?

What power sources are available? What's your budget? Can you program?

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Sorry guys for the incomplete information. Yes the coil is acting as an electromagnet. The purpose is to control the gas valve. I think I could not use a inductor just because the coil helps to control the valve. Any suggestions on the design? Should I use a different SMT rectifier and create a circuit through the terminals shown ? Any suggestions that would save my cost to create this model would really help.

Thank You guys for all responses
What kind of Gas, if it's natural Gas you're in for a ride if it's not protected properly. Is this some giant burner, what the heck are you doing?

I've worked on many furnaces, water heaters, gas ranges, boilers etc it's the first thing that comes to mind there is no room for error.

Seen people houses blown up before it's not pretty.

kv

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I was reading shortbus' post....gaaaly. That looks like it was designed for a nasa rocket.....what could be safer?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I was reading shortbus' post....gaaaly. That looks like it was designed for a nasa rocket.....what could be safer?
Just shows how involved gas solenoid valves designs are. Things that look so simple are sometimes not. That's why most designers use "off the shelf" components where possible.