Cleaning out - found old chips

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Having a clean out and ran into a bunch of chips... I know there are more somewhere... can you guys identify off the top of your head? Got any ideas for uses? I can see some uses for some of this stuff but meh.. anyhow just fun to look through old junk. Looking forward to your comments...

FFD37E55-A827-453F-B498-1E4745FCD7D2.jpeg

found a bunch of other 4xxx chips but those are still in packages... here some more goodies I think
807615BF-9DF4-4D53-9DA3-9351DFD1EFD5.jpeg
The packaging is falling apart time to decide, repack or dump

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Doing a bit of pre-spring cleaning myself. (the wife is insisting)

Can't really read the numbers on the chips. Can you post a better pic? Never mind.

Last edited:

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
LM309 5V regulator
LM324 Quad OpAmp
GL339 Comparator, 4 Func, 9000uV Offset-Max, 1300ns Response Time, BIPolar, PDIP14
couple of PICs
4pin rectifier
lots of good stuff

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
These are from various sources... the LM2917 is an interesting chip... frequency to voltage converter. I'm having fun reading datasheets... slows my progress but makes it more fun. I've found about 20-30 different attiny, arduinos, mkrs, rasp pi and various STM32 modules and quite a few different programmers... its pretty interesting how much I've hoarded. I won't even check the garage work area until we defrost.

oh wow I2C serial eeprom... wow that sounds very interesting. I've found tons of limit switches and opto sensors which I will donate to our Robot club.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
I have a great lot of old chips too. As I "inherited" DSP Systems stock when it closed, there are some really neat parts there.
Did anyone use Harris RTX2000 FORTH engines? I have a couple of tubes of them. Along with various processors and imaging parts.
This does not count the hundreds of 74xx and 4000 logic and LMxx parts, and bags of various transistors...... A lot may be too good to toss out, but probably too old to use in a new commercial design. It is a bit of a dilemma.
The boxes and reels of Rs and Cs are very handy. Mostly, I do not have to buy parts for my play things. There is a good chance Ive more stock than the local Jaycar store!

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
What I like to do is read the datasheet then do a bit of online research and build a small test circuit just to become familiar with the chip. I put it all in a notebook to look at later after I have forgotten what I learned doing it.

Also: I keep a text file of my ICs/Transistors by Model# with a brief description and a few pertinent parameters ie voltge, current, watts, etc. Whenever I get new parts the first thing I do is log them into the text file, package and mark them for storage, put them in appropriate storage boxes. And depending on the source, ie chinesium, test them.

Last edited:

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
I intend to run another introduction to electronics course to try and get folks interested. So, there will be a lot of bits usable there.
i'd take any of them against an arduino any day...
In really cannot understand the negative bias against Arduinos.
They are just a great component for bigger things. The argument that one does not learn electronics when using them is a bit spurious. The same can be said for an electronics kit.
I find Arduinos a very important tool in the training of electronics. They encourage an interest and that is very important.
The only time one could say they do not help learning of electronics is if you just run the BLINK sketch, maybe.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Actually there’s a 328P DIP in that pile, which is an Arduino... I left out the piles of various ATTINY chips. I’m doing a project that requires analog readings to a display of output voltage, current and resistance values... I can’t imagine not doing that without some sort of microcontroller outputting serial to a display.

Its not digital vs analog, Arduino are pretty useless without the analog portion. I’m now moving on to the new megaTiny AVR. Microchip has added some nice new chips. Do Cortex Mx and PICs suffer the same bias?

Last edited:

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I have encountered a good bit of anti-Arduino bias here which I do not understand. Yes, you have to learn a programming language. Is that bad? You also have to learn/know some basic electronics or the circuits will not work. Is that bad? Anything that piques interest in electronics, to me, is not a bad thing and can only help to educate the person by being an interesting toy to learn from.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I have encountered a good bit of anti-Arduino bias here which I do not understand. Yes, you have to learn a programming language. Is that bad? You also have to learn/know some basic electronics or the circuits will not work. Is that bad? Anything that piques interest in electronics, to me, is not a bad thing and can only help to educate the person by being an interesting toy to learn from.
There’s an old saying. “When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a nail”

I’ve seen posts where the TS is concerned about circuit size. For example, consider flashing an LED in a specific sequence. It could be done with a μC, LED, resistor and a small program. Yet, people recommend a circuit with 3-4 ICs, resistors, BJT or MOSFET and an LED.

One advantage of an Arduino is the excellent online references available. Plus, it comes with sample programs for each feature of the Arduino. There also are many add on boards which also come with sample programs.

You still need to know basic electronics. But once you get comfortable with the platform, development of a system is vastly simplified.

Just another POV.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Few days ago, googling about maybe a sensor or IR, I realized that the first result of all searches were Arduino-related. Then I realized that I have no idea of how to use an Arduino and no interest either.

Using PICs since when the 16C57 was state of the art.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
The Arduino is an Atmel AVR uC with all the peripherals on one PCB. V reg, Pin Connectors, Serial, I2C, etc. interfaces, some indicator LEDs, USB input, barrel power jack, etc. Was actually designed for Artists to use so it was KISS electronics for the uninitiated. Then people found out what it could do.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Having a clean out and ran into a bunch of chips... I know there are more somewhere... can you guys identify off the top of your head? Got any ideas for uses? I can see some uses for some of this stuff but meh.. anyhow just fun to look through old junk. Looking forward to your comments...

View attachment 197358

found a bunch of other 4xxx chips but those are still in packages... here some more goodies I think
View attachment 197364
Lm2917, great chip, made plenty of Rev counters in my time with these babies...

Hamlet

Joined Jun 10, 2015
I intend to run another introduction to electronics course to try and get folks interested. So, there will be a lot of bits usable there.

In really cannot understand the negative bias against Arduinos.
They are just a great component for bigger things. The argument that one does not learn electronics when using them is a bit spurious. The same can be said for an electronics kit.
I find Arduinos a very important tool in the training of electronics. They encourage an interest and that is very important.
The only time one could say they do not help learning of electronics is if you just run the BLINK sketch, maybe.
Sorry, all good points. I think Ardwino is wonderful, for the right application. Sometimes I see it as wasteful, especially if a simpler solution is available. Take my philosophy to it's extreme; maybe we should shove off electronics, and just grow cucumbers. Seriously.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Sorry, all good points. I think Ardwino is wonderful, for the right application. Sometimes I see it as wasteful, especially if a simpler solution is available. Take my philosophy to it's extreme; maybe we should shove off electronics, and just grow cucumbers. Seriously.
Actually, it is funny, I hate cucumbers ;)

I'm just back from our ham radio club meeting. The club site is http://www.sadarc.org/ (but it looks like it is down at the moment. Probably the heat. It is 44C, or 111F)
One older guy there has built some wonderful RF converter boards. He is using the glued down PCB board pads method. A real work of art. On top of that, he has an Arduino Uno driving a, Si5351 board for the VFO part. Now he is needing help with that as this is his first Arduino project. So here is a case on a well experienced electronic designer just starting with Arduinos.

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018

View attachment 197358

View attachment 197364
The LM2917 sare tachometer devices, good for frequency to voltage conversion applications, the LM108 devices are good opamps. So the collection is very much worth keeping, or possibly selling. And quite a few of them are presently available from some suppliers.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Somewhere I have a UVEPROM. I've used it glued to a tie clip with the window exposed. Makes a really great tie clip. Started a lot of conversations. Military grade ceramic chip. Don't know if they ever came in plastic.

You have to be careful with the leads, they tend to snag on things.