Class A-B amplifier, which complementary bjt should I use?

muyustan

Joined Nov 29, 2019
I am designing an amplifier to drive an 8 ohms speaker at 4-5 Watts. I was planning to use TIP41C/42C, however, I have been told that those are very ancient components from 1970s. So, could you please recommend me some pairs you are using nowadays? I would be happy if they are easily available(common parts) so I can find it in easily. Thanks in advance.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
General answer: use any passing the wattage, voltage and amperage IF them have a gain frequency factor f(T) around 3...50 MHz. Less - You get damaged trebble, and over - You get high-freq oscillations.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
There are many IC audio amplifiers producing only 4W-5W into 8 ohms. An LM4950 is class-AB bridged and delivers 5.2W into 8 ohms at low distortion using an 11V supply, about 6W output using a 12V supply.

Some of the amplifiers are stereo and class-D with low heating so they can use a battery with little current wasted in heating, then the IC needs no heatsink.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
There are many IC audio amplifiers producing only 4W-5W into 8 ohms. An LM4950 is class-AB bridged and delivers 5.2W into 8 ohms at low distortion using an 11V supply, about 6W output using a 12V supply.

Some of the amplifiers are stereo and class-D with low heating so they can use a battery with little current wasted in heating, then the IC needs no heatsink.
Glad to see you back, McDuck.

muyustan

Joined Nov 29, 2019

I am actually trying to build it myself, rather than using an IC. Thanks for advices anyway.