Class A Amplifier design

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Perhaps if you discussed the comments made your path to enlightenment would be quicker.

3 watts into a 1k resistor implies

√3000 volts rms = 55 volts rms = 153 volts peak to peak.

It also implies a collector current of 55 milliamps rms.

I have repeatedly asked if you are following this, without answer. Am I wasting my time?

ishaan3731

Joined Jun 23, 2011
Let us take the collector resistor at 1000 ohms for the moment.

What are the current and voltage implications of this decision at 3 watts delivered power?
first of all RC=1000 wud be ok for ac anlysis but for Dc analysis RC=1000 wud not be a negotiable value.......

Rl=1000 ohm wud be perfect but i dont think for Dc analysis Rc shud be too high!!!!!

jtrent

Joined Mar 11, 2012
so now to get power gain i have to design amp in Common Collector !!!! No probs.....it can be done.......but can u tell me what input voltage must i apply to get output of 3W........
Power = Vsqr/R

Substitute in your 3 watts for power, substitute in the value of your load and then solve for the voltage. For a common collector circuit this would be the voltage at the emitter which is approximately equal to the voltage at the base.

ishaan3731

Joined Jun 23, 2011
Perhaps if you discussed the comments made your path to enlightenment would be quicker.

3 watts into a 1k resistor implies

√3000 volts rms = 55 volts rms = 153 volts peak to peak.

It also implies a collector current of 55 milliamps rms.

I have repeatedly asked if you are following this, without answer. Am I wasting my time?

gotcha ......plz bare wid me ...i am bginner...with little knowledge....i got this concpet clear now!!!!

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
OK so can you see why a 1k anode (collector) resistor is OK for the valve circuit posted earlier, but no good for a transistor one?

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
The quicker you say yes or no the quicker we can move on.

I can tell you your present approach will not work. Can you tell me the effective collector resistance of a 1k resistor and an 8 ohm load resistor as per your circuit? You might be suprised by the answer, since the two are effectively in parallel. Do you understand this?

ishaan3731

Joined Jun 23, 2011
in h parameters when we make the Hybrid model of a normal transistor....
we take R'l = Rc || Rl ...... so R'l according to u is the effective resistance!!!!