circuit troubleshooting

edgar007

Joined Jan 26, 2012
I am a student doing a Course in Home Entertainment Systems: Servicing and Repair. I need help in understanding the process of isolation, localisation and removal during Troubleshooting circuits.
I understand the need for using an isolation transformer and its positioning in the event of finding a hot chassis.I am also aware that a stage by stage approach is wanted. How would I isolate a faulty component -a shot resistor- from the circuit or a:confused: nonoperational part of a circuit from the rest?
What is the essential difference between "localisation" and "isolation"?
If one localizes a faulty area is that not isolating it from the rest?:mad::confused:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
If you do not understand how a circuit operates then u can never trouble shoot the way one needs to.

Further more if you dunno how to test components using a DMM, "I am sorry but I" just don't have that kind of time to teach you.

Come back with some knowledge and I can teach you the art.

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If you do not understand how a circuit operates then u can never trouble shoot the way one needs to.

Further more if you dunno how to test components using a DMM, we just don't have that kind of time to teach you.
You are violating your own motto. :rolleyes:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Yes it is.

U know when it comes to saying things I can't make it too long.
I tend to be direct. It ain't harsh.

Now if I said " Don't ask stupid questions" . It can be considered harsh in my book.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I am a student doing a Course in Home Entertainment Systems: Servicing and Repair. I need help in understanding the process of isolation, localisation and removal during Troubleshooting circuits.
I understand the need for using an isolation transformer and its positioning in the event of finding a hot chassis.I am also aware that a stage by stage approach is wanted. How would I isolate a faulty component -a shot resistor- from the circuit or a:confused: nonoperational part of a circuit from the rest?
What is the essential difference between "localisation" and "isolation"?
If one localizes a faulty area is that not isolating it from the rest?:mad::confused:
I believe "localization" means tracing the problem to a specific area and "isolation" means isolating it to a single component. Obviously, "removal" means removing and replacing the component.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
the key is to be able to identify which "block" of the circuit is responsible for the problem, for that you need to study block diagrams and know what is happening in each area - signal processing, rectification, isolation, etc so that you can quickly look at input and output and based on that pinpoint the location. From there you can look in more detail at specific components.

Nope ! I said it because it's a fact.
Rifaa, while first statement is a fact, the second is not as you have used "we" in a sentence implying everyone. As such, the statement was harsh and in violation of your signature. ;)

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
If your talking about general troubleshooting, look up the six step troubleshooting proceedure. It explains those troubleshooting steps.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
it's hard to guess what your literature and thier author(s) intended on communicating, but I will guess;

localization: based on overall operation, often aided by review of schematics. The problem(s) can be logically deduce to reside in certain logic or operational function blocks of the system. Manipulation of controls, software scanners, and other 'soft' techniques employed to 'theorize' on the location of the problem.

Isolation: now you confirm your theory. Signal injection, dummy loading, physically isolating subsections and testing them. This is a drill down process where once again due to subsection complexity, you may have to step back to the first step to localize within.