Circuit tripper or circuit breaker

Berzin

Joined Dec 17, 2020
Hello everyone
Actually today I want your help in make a circuit tripper. I have 12 volts project but for its protection I want to give a circuit tripper to it which is triggered itself and on and off switching itsel. For eg my project has 5 leds and i dont want the circuit to create any type of heat so a tripper will the power when need and start when needed
Please help me

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I see some very different statements of the requirements, and none of them with adequate information for me to give a usable response. And there is a bit of a conflict as well, as any circuit using power will generate some heat. as nothing is completely efficient.
So I am guessing that the TS is asking for a system that will switch off when the current exceeds some point. That is frequently called a circuit breaker in common use. Probably this would be an electronic version because of the fairly low current level. We can only guess about the actual current because all we are told is that there are 5 LEDs.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Based on the rather nebulous description of the requirements I had guessed that a "circuit tripper" was the functional equivalent of a circuit breaker. But no additional requirements are given so the trip rating is unknown.

Berzin

Joined Dec 17, 2020
I see some very different statements of the requirements, and none of them with adequate information for me to give a usable response. And there is a bit of a conflict as well, as any circuit using power will generate some heat. as nothing is completely efficient.
So I am guessing that the TS is asking for a system that will switch off when the current exceeds some point. That is frequently called a circuit breaker in common use. Probably this would be an electronic version because of the fairly low current level. We can only guess about the actual current because all we are told is that there are 5 LEDs.
[/QUOTE
Based on the rather nebulous description of the requirements I had guessed that a "circuit tripper" was the functional equivalent of a circuit breaker. But no additional requirements are given so the trip rating is unknown.
See actually I am making a water level senor which is of 6 leds and rest other senors of other ics of the pcb are Palerrel connected to each other but my main brain ic is my water level sensor as everything is depends on it so I am trying do such that when the water reachs to the last 6th leds from down I want to trip the current so the pcb turns off and and when it reachs 5th led the pcb turns on as I am trying to draw a line for usage on the 6th and this whole uses totally 12 volts so please help me out

Berzin

Joined Dec 17, 2020
[/QUOTE
See actually I am making a water level senor which is of 6 leds and rest other senors of other ics of the pcb are Palerrel connected to each other but my main brain ic is my water level sensor as everything is depends on it so I am trying do such that when the water reachs to the last 6th leds from down I want to trip the current so the pcb turns off and and when it reachs 5th led the pcb turns on as I am trying to draw a line for usage on the 6th

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, so the need is for a level control type of system, not for overload protection. That changes almost everything. If the level sensor portion is already created and operating as required then adding an additional function should not be very complicated.
So now a question: Is only one LED lighted at a time? That makes a difference in the control scheme.

Berzin

Joined Dec 17, 2020
Yes one led light at one time and all every led has its own part or process to handle so how shall I do this I also tried with 12 volt relay with 555 timer ic but it's not happening

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
You need to give some information about the existing level detector before anyone will be able to help you. Post a schematic and if you are using a microcontroller then post your code.

Les.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
What is the driver circuit for those 2 LEDs? If there is a current limiting resistor for each LED, what is the voltage applied to the resistor that limits the current to the LED? When I know that voltage then I can describe a circuit that can be triggered by that voltage.
Is there a DC supply available to power some additional electronic load? Either 5 volts or 12 volts would work.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I am trying do such that when the water reachs to the last 6th leds from down I want to trip the current so the pcb turns off and and when it reachs 5th led the pcb turns on
But you will still need the circuit operating to detect when the 6th LED goes on and when the 5th LED turns back on, so I don't see what you can gain by the "tripper" circuit? :confused:
Are you trying to save power?

Berzin

Joined Dec 17, 2020
But you will still need the circuit operating to detect when the 6th LED goes on and when the 5th LED turns back on, so I don't see what you can gain by the "tripper" circuit? :confused:
Are you trying to save power?
Sorry dear but I am not trying to save the power but I am try use the 6th led as a main switch to switch off the whole main current so the other ics and motors does burn out without water hence I am thinking to stop the current on 6th led and restart on the 5th led so I want your help to tell me as what can be that switching or controlling ic which do such thing with the 12 volt relay

Berzin

Joined Dec 17, 2020
What is the driver circuit for those 2 LEDs? If there is a current limiting resistor for each LED, what is the voltage applied to the resistor that limits the current to the LED? When I know that voltage then I can describe a circuit that can be triggered by that voltage.
Is there a DC supply available to power some additional electronic load? Either 5 volts or 12 volts would work.
Actually I am using uln2004 for my water sensor with 220 ohms resistors on all 6 leds but for my driver ics of 5th led and 6th led I am searching for as I have no idea as to what ic will driver such way and the load and voltage is 12 volts dc

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, I see now that the connections to the LEDs are Co3 and Co4. To have a simple set/reset operation the LED5 and LED6 connections of Co3 can also feed the set and reset inputs of an RS flipflop IC such as the CD4013.Then the Q and Q- outputs can feed the control device or use an MPSA13 transistor to drive a suitable relay. The MPSA13 is an NPN darlington device that can easily drive a small 12 volt relay that does not require more than 100 milliamps. And because of the very high gain it does not load the CMOS output of the IC. That is about as simple as I can make it.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
I am making the assumption that you are using metal (or graphite) probes that detect the water level by electrical conduction of the water. Am I correct ? If this is the case then you won't be able to remove power from the whole circuit if you want it to power back on when the water is at level 5. This is because you need power on the circuit to detect level 5. I am also assuming that all the LEDs for levels below the current level will be lit. Is this system controling a pump pumping water into the tank or out of the tank ?

Les.

Berzin

Joined Dec 17, 2020
I am making the assumption that you are using metal (or graphite) probes that detect the water level by electrical conduction of the water. Am I correct ? If this is the case then you won't be able to remove power from the whole circuit if you want it to power back on when the water is at level 5. This is because you need power on the circuit to detect level 5. I am also assuming that all the LEDs for levels below the current level will be lit. Is this system controling a pump pumping water into the tank or out of the tank ?

Les.
Yes I am using metal probes. If I say that I want power only for water level detector and rest power for other ic to go off as the water is going to be put. Pumped out and if it is empty than I think my pump will burn out so I would have be happy if would be able cut the power at least for the water pump ic

Berzin

Joined Dec 17, 2020
OK, I see now that the connections to the LEDs are Co3 and Co4. To have a simple set/reset operation the LED5 and LED6 connections of Co3 can also feed the set and reset inputs of an RS flipflop IC such as the CD4013.Then the Q and Q- outputs can feed the control device or use an MPSA13 transistor to drive a suitable relay. The MPSA13 is an NPN darlington device that can easily drive a small 12 volt relay that does not require more than 100 milliamps. And because of the very high gain it does not load the CMOS output of the IC. That is about as simple as I can make it.
Thank you I will surely try out withthe ic N transistor and connect it with relay 12 volt to get best result

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
I am not sure I understand the logic of your system. I was originally thinking that LED 6 was the highest water level but if you are controlling pumping OUT then it must be the lowest level. (As you are protecting the pump from running when the tank is almost empty.) Am I correct ?

Les.

Berzin

Joined Dec 17, 2020
I am not sure I understand the logic of your system. I was originally thinking that LED 6 was the highest water level but if you are controlling pumping OUT then it must be the lowest level. (As you are protecting the pump from running when the tank is almost empty.) Am I correct ?

Les.
Yes u absolutely correct led 6 is lowest