circuit to ensure only one relay is on at a particular time

jkhalid

Joined Aug 19, 2018
I am trying to turn on/off some circuits from relays using a microcontroller. Each day at a specific time the circuit turn on and at a specified off time the circuit turns off. Each of the circuits is for each day. For example, day 1: circuit 1 turns on, day 2 for circuit 2, day3 for circuit 3, .. day 6 circuit 6 and then day7 circuit 1 and it goes on..
The connection is as : microcontroller -> relays -> external circuit
On the software side I will program the microcontroller to turn on/off the circuits at the respective date. The on/off times will be specified by the user.

But I want to be able to do it on the hardware side such that when circuit 1 is on, all the other circuits are not getting power and hence they will not turn on. When one circuit is on, the rest should be off. I want some kind of redundancy on the hardware side also.

I want to have some ideas on how i can achieve this task.

Thank you

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You need a hold off relay which is picked up by any of the other relays, the hold off relay will have a N.C. contact in each of the operating relays coil, across this N.C. contact is a N.O. retaining contact of the relay that is operating at that point.
The hold off relay will be picked up by a N.O. contact on any operating relay.
All other relays will be held off.
Max.

Last edited:

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
You need a hold off relay which is picked up by any of the other relays, the hold off relay will have a N.C. contact in each of the operating relays coil, across this N.C. contact is a N.O. retaining contact of the relay that is operating at that point.
The hold off relay will be picked up by a N.O. contact on any operating relay.
All other relays will be held off.
Max.
It would be fun watching you draw this schematic

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
Switching DC loads ? If so use a muxed A/D to scan load energized and
turn off the others. There are controllers with muxed A/D on them. In fact
ones with scanning comparators with front end muxes as well.

If AC loads use a set of relay contacts to scan with UP the state of relay.

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Would it not be sufficient just to scan the state of the relays as danadak suggested?

Otherwise you could use some variation of a radio-pushbutton circuit to insure only relay is on at a time.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Otherwise you could use some variation of a radio-pushbutton circuit to insure only relay is on at a time.
Here is a logic version of a lock out circuit. 555s used as relay drivers. New application would drop RC timing, day 1 ON pin isLock out #2 00001.jpg a negative pulse on A-2, off pin a + pulse on A-6. When A is on no action possible on B or C.