Circuit modification question

FredW

Joined Nov 11, 2017
Hello all, this is my first post I hope I'm in the right place. I am building a diy spot welder and found a very basic high current inverter circuit and would like to know if my modifications would work. The design explanation can be found here

The schematic is attached. I would swap the mosfets for IRFB3256PBF and connect the gates to pwm outputs from an rpi pwm board, and swap the momentary switch in the circuit for a standard 2 position switch like on the back of a pc power supply.

This should give me the ability to make the spot welder dual pulse through some simple code. That part it's easy for me, just need some information on the circuit design as I love tinkering but I'm no engineer. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

FredW

Joined Nov 11, 2017
Also, I intend to power this from a 12v 30a power supply, not a battery. I don't know if this will affect the performance so I figure I should mention it.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hello all, this is my first post I hope I'm in the right place. I am building a diy spot welder and found a very basic high current inverter circuit and would like to know if my modifications would work. The design explanation can be found here

The schematic is attached. I would swap the mosfets for IRFB3256PBF and connect the gates to pwm outputs from an rpi pwm board, and swap the momentary switch in the circuit for a standard 2 position switch like on the back of a pc power supply.

This should give me the ability to make the spot welder dual pulse through some simple code. That part it's easy for me, just need some information on the circuit design as I love tinkering but I'm no engineer. Thanks in advance!
The SMPSU is probably too fragile for that use - there is a blog somewhere online for a re purposed microwave oven transformer. There's probably a YouTube clip of the actual construction.

FredW

Joined Nov 11, 2017
The reason I was going this route was the increased control, there isn't going to be nearly the same amount of power that there would from an unregulated system. I could do a transformer/diode (unregulated dc? I'm unsure of the terminology for these ) power supply would that work? Also, thanks for the information, that would have cost me $30 to learn on my own.