Circuit HELP

renegadegas

Joined Dec 2, 2012
Sorry ive just got back from work
I think the first answer would be ba NOT gate.
Then that goes into another NAND with the inputs tied together. so its inverted again which makes it a double invertion at the output Y.

Hope im right..

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
But which basic gate is it!?

You have the truth table

A|B|Y
0|0|0
0|1|0
1|0|0
1|1|1

What basic logic gate is that the truth table for?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Exactly. So now you know how you can take a schematic that has INV, AND and OR gates and replace the INV and AND gates with NAND gates. All that's left (for the basic gates) is to be able to replace an OR gate.

So... if you invert the output of a NAND you get an AND.

What happens if you invert the inputs?

renegadegas

Joined Dec 2, 2012
Exactly. So now you know how you can take a schematic that has INV, AND and OR gates and replace the INV and AND gates with NAND gates. All that's left (for the basic gates) is to be able to replace an OR gate.

So... if you invert the output of a NAND you get an AND.

What happens if you invert the inputs?
Helloo.
Iv just got back from work and i have attached the drawn diagram of the diagram replaced with the 2 input NAND and i wondered if it is right?

Thanks

Attachments

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Thanks very much. your nudge, nudge, wink, wink approach worked.
I appreciate your help. Thanks a lot.;);););)
I'm glad it worked. It's called the Socratic Method and is a few thousand years old. The basic idea is for the mentor to ask leading questions that guide the student toward the answer through a process of step-by-step self-discovery. It's a very powerful technique, but it requires that both the mentor and the student be willing to participate and be willing to struggle a bit.