Circuit Diagram Software

haditya

Joined Jan 19, 2004
hi,

is there a software for drawing circuit diagrams .....
if some1 knows anything about it please inform me about it.
if the diagram can be drawn on the computer and saved as a bmp or jpeg file it can be uploaded on the forum using the IMG function.

thanks

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
How strange, I was think about posting a similar question only this morning!! :blink:

I would be interested in finding out about such available software that could be used, however I fear the price maybe considerable for decent software. So does anyone know of available Freeware for such diagrams?

Sometime ago a forum member mentioned something called Windows Breadboard, does anyone know anythingabout this?? :unsure:

Also I have mentioned this to the site administrator about possibly getting such a function built into the forum interface. The thread can be found here, feel free to add your suggestions.

However, I still would be interested in obtaining software for drawing circuits.

Battousai

Joined Nov 14, 2003
They have free software like Linear's switcherCAD (www.linear.com). I believe you can draw circuits on there, and then you can just take a screenshot (hit printscreen), and then go to paint and you can paste your screenshot and save it as a jpeg (don't save as bmp they take up a lot of space).

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
They have quite a list on that site Battousai, have you downloaded any of them, and if so which one <_<

I assume you were making reference to the top download on here - LTspice/SwitcherCAD III (4MB)?

Battousai

Joined Nov 14, 2003
The 4MB one is the one I downloaded. I only had time to play with it for about a minute - it seemed like the program consisted of an interface where you drag circuit components onto the layout to build your circuit.

Also I believe SpiceOpus (http://www.fe.uni-lj.si/~spice/welcome.html) has a schematic editor (Eagle) built in (never tried it). You might want to try that out as well.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I downloaded that LTspice/SwitcherCAD III program - very impressive :D

Although I haven't had much success building any of my own circuits (I'm still not sure if this is possible! But I'd be surprised if it wasn't), there is a superb directory of pre-designed circuits that can be simulated. I noticed that there is also an educational function which shows you a circuit and analyses the functioning of this circuit with notes (including explainations of the Maths involved). I'm not sure if you are able to interact with the circuit, but I will continue to play around with it.

I certainly recommend people to have a look at this software, maybe you could teach me how to use it! :p

Anomaly

Joined Jan 9, 2004
I'm not sure of the costs, and it's possible that trial or free versions are available, but Electronic Work bench will provide the functionality that you're looking for. Also, Pspice, but if you're not a student access to low cost software is unlikely.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by Anomaly@Feb 28 2004, 01:42 PM
I'm not sure of the costs, and it's possible that trial or free versions are available, but Electronic Work bench will provide the functionality that you're looking for. Also, Pspice, but if you're not a student access to low cost software is unlikely.
PSpice?? :blink: Is that similar to that LTSpice that can be downloaded from the link above?

I have managed to build circuits on that LTSpice, however I can't rotate the components so the circuits I draw look very peculiar! <_<

Harlan

Joined Feb 26, 2004
Since I am still trying to figure out this spice stuff, (have no clue) :blink: I do know of a simple, bit crude really but works fine CAD for drawing schematics. It is called QCAD Versions 1 through 1.5 and you can still get to the download page for it. http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/qcad
If it is inaapropriate to list that URL I ask then that the moderator please remove the link, with my appologies. The new QCAD is version 2 and you can get a demo from Ribbonsoft who took over this program a while back.
Once I get over knowing Protel programs, maybe I will break my mold and lern the Spice program, hearing how it does so much. I have downloaded several versions, but so far am stumped. Probably because i have not read any info on the program.
Anyway just one idea here.
Harlan :)

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I have no problem with that link, Harlan ;)

Just looking through it there are lot of files which don't mean a lot to me! I take you have downloaded this QCAD? If so, what do you think?

Once I get over knowing Protel programs, maybe I will break my mold and lern the Spice program, hearing how it does so much.

Protel? Spice? :blink: I must confess I am very confused about all these names, maybe someone in the know could explain. Cheers.

Battousai

Joined Nov 14, 2003
I always thought PSpice was a professional software and not free. I know you can get free versions that let you draw schematics but I think the transistor count is limited to 10, and some analysis modes are restricted as well.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Well heres something I found out today:

SPICE stands for "Simulation Programme with Integrated Circuit Emphasis" and was originally developed at the University of Berkeley in California. Thats where you go isn't it, Battousai?

Cheers for the link Anomaly, it goes to show just how diverse a programme like PSpice can be :)

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I got the impression that the free download was just a demo version, i.e. has certain limits and restrictions on it just so you can get a feel for the software. What I was meaning was is there a Student version that you could buy, similar to the AutoCAD Student versions and Microsoft Office Student, were its effectively the full version licensed to students?

I'll probably download the free demo to have a look anyway.