Circuit board connectors

josh623

Joined Dec 15, 2015
Hey guys. So I have not idea if this is the right place to post this, looked good to me but if not mods can move ;)

So I have a Variable Frequency Drive that runs several motors (individually, not at the same time). In the picture below, you will see a bunch of red jumpers on a circuit board, one of those is going horizontal, the one below where it says "CL". Where that jumper is there are a total of 10 pins, each measuring .025" in diameter. I want to connect 22 gauge wire to each of those pins individually and run them out of my vfd to a remote rotary switch.

The connectors I need will have to crimp/solder onto the wire, and then the other side will be female and slide down over the male pin and be a good fit. Any idea of what types of connectors these are an where I would get them?

* for those interested in what this is doing, basically the jumper connects each set of pins to enable you to run 5 different horse power rated motors - 2, 1.5, 1, 3/4, and 1/2 HP. So my rotary switch will allow me to change the HP rating for whatever motor I'm using on the fly instead of having to open up this box and manually change the jumper.

Thanks for any and all help!

josh623

Joined Dec 15, 2015
Thanks! But how would I connect my wires into those, and I need each wire to remain seperate from the other wires, would a standard header do this?

If you want an option that doesn't require tools (insertion tool) look at pre made pin jumpers from Pomona Electronics. Available 6", 12" and 24" lengths and several colors. They are available many places.

For more info search for "4741" at http://www.pomonaelectronics.com/index.php
Well I need them about 10 ft. long... I already have the wire, I just need the connectors. It will look like this (as I am sure you are well aware =)

josh623

Joined Dec 15, 2015
Is there not a place I can get individual connectors like this? I just need to crimp/solder to the wire and insert onto the pin is what I'm looking for.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
Yes there are several families of connectors that will plug into your header. You will need to buy a tool to crimp or insert the wire. Look at Molex, they have a few families that use a very inexpensive crimper. The connector that Panic Mode suggested uses a fairly inexpensive insertion tool but has a limited range of wire sizes that it will work with.

The pin jumper cables I suggested I thought you could just clip one end off and solder to your switch. But............ Ten feet is a long way for a logic signal. One or two feet within the box is fine. Logic lines like this are very sensitive. Can you keep the wiring inside of the box the board is mounted in?

josh623

Joined Dec 15, 2015
Good point on the 10ft length... they would be going 10ft to the switch in my box, then 10ft back to the other pin. So total the signal would be going about 10 ft. I checked and there is a spot I could put the switch in the door of my VFD but I'm leerie of doing that because it's a NEMA 4 enclosure (water and dust proof) and this would breach that, which I don't really want to do.

I will get a pic of the wire I got in here in a few... you guys can tell me if it will work.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
Thanks! But how would I connect my wires into those, and I need each wire to remain seperate from the other wires, would a standard header do this?
you can follow the link and choose one of connectors and some comtacts (get few extra, chances are you will need some practice :) ). the whole thing will set you back $3-4 plus shipping, then solder or crimp them and insert them into connector body. once contact is inserted into body, it stays latched in place.