Christmas lights controller - memory or fixed mode hack - advice sought

vilbs

Joined May 28, 2020
Hi there. Age old question I'm afraid.

I have some Christmas lights with the 8 modes and no memory. Ideally I would like the lights to remember their last setting (holding the memory whilst off for 1 or 2 days). Failing that I would just like them to be continually on.

I have seen the various posts (bigclive.com and auschristmaslighting.com) but they don't seem to help with my lights (mine might be more complicated because they came with a remote control).

If anyone is able to provide some helpful information on how I can sort this it would be appreciated. My electronics knowledge and soldering ability is 'basic'.

Many thanks in advance.

IMG_20200419_214458.jpgIMG_20200419_214514.jpgIMG_20200528_1048172.jpg

peterdeco

Joined Oct 8, 2019
The simplest way I can think of is just putting a switch on the line that feeds the lights. So the controller is always on the last setting. But of course you will lose the remote control feature.

vilbs

Joined May 28, 2020
The simplest way I can think of is just putting a switch on the line that feeds the lights. So the controller is always on the last setting. But of course you will lose the remote control feature.
Thanks for the reply Peter. Absolutely no problem about losing remote control feature. I just want to set it on a timer and forget about it would you be able to steer me in the right direction of how I would add a switch and whereabouts in the board?

peterdeco

Joined Oct 8, 2019
I'm assuming these lights are low voltage LEDs. If not, I wouldn't play with the AC line unless you know exactly what you're doing. Also, if the lights are many LEDs wired in series, high DC voltage can be just as formidable. The first thing I would do is determine how many VOLTS I'm working with using a meter. I see in the picture a red wire labeled OUT1. Again I'm assuming that is positive low voltage to the LEDs. Confirm it is powering the LEDs, cut it and splice the switch in series. That is also where you would put a timer with a relay output. It would simply switch on the LEDs at the appropriate intervals.

vilbs

Joined May 28, 2020
Looks like the lights are low voltage DC, as there is a switchmode PSU, easier to wire on perminantly. Ps UK plug..?
Thanks everyone. That's given me some reassurance and ideas. Off to do a bit more reading before I get my solder iron out thanks again