Choosing sampling frequency in Digital Filter Design

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Xavier Pacheco Paulino, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Xavier Pacheco Paulino

Thread Starter Active Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Hi,

I designed a Butterworth second order bandstop filter on Matlab with the following parameters:

Notch frequency: 150 Hz (the frequency I want to remove)
    Bandwidth = 8 Hz, that is
    Fc1=146 Hz
    Fc2=154 Hz
    Fs (sampling frequency) = 10000 Hz

According to Nyquist Criterion, 0.5xFs > Fm
    where Fm is my signal’s highest frequency. Let's say that my signal frequency ranges from 0 to 3 kHz, so my sampling frequency should be 6 kHz or higher. As you saw, I chose a samplig frequency of 10 kHz.

MATLAB gave me the filter coefficients for my difference equation, that is

y[n]=b0x[n]+b1x[n−1]+b2x[n−2]−a1y[n−1]−a2y[n−2] (IIR Filter).

I implemented this equation in a STM32F767 Nucleo Board. The input signal goes to the ADC, the signal is processed and then go to the DAC for output. I used a timer interrupt every 100 us for this. I mean, the process takes place in the timer interrupt loop.

The problem is this:

My filter works, but it's no filtering the frequency I chose to filter. I wanted to remove the 150Hz, but it's removing a frequency of 298~300Hz.

What could be happening here? Does the sampling frequency have to do with this? Should I choose a lower sampling frequency? If it's needed I can attach my C code. But this is the basic idea:

struct difference_equation
    {
    // coefficients
    double b0;
    double b1;
    double b2;
    double a1;
    double a2;
    // input history
    double x1;
    double x2;
    // output history