Choosing External EEPROM for stm32f103c8t6

aleks_sitno

Joined Jul 4, 2017
Hello everyone, for my project i am using the stm32f103c8t6 uC and i have a requirement of saving 32bit data in memory every second for 1 hour, after the 1h the EEPROM memory is read and erased and the process starts all over again.
1h = 3600 sec => 3600 writes of 32 bit(4B) data . 3600*4B = 14400 B, so the EEPROM memory should be at least 16KB with 100,000 write cycles. Using I2C bus for communicating, and should be small package(limited space on PCB). First time using EEPROM,there are so many options to chose can't narrow down to which is best option and what other things should i look out for ?

aleks_sitno

Joined Jul 4, 2017
Why do you want to use EEPROM? Why not battery powered SRAM?
I want the memory to keep the information if there is a some kind of power loss and device shuts down and due to limited space on the PCB I can't use a battery, and what are the benfits of using SRAM ?

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I want the memory to keep the information if there is a some kind of power loss and device shuts down and due to limited space on the PCB I can't use a battery, and what are the benfits of using SRAM ?
SRAM has faster access times than EEPROM.
You can erase and access individual bytes of SRAM.
You don't have to erase SRAM every hour. Just treat memory as a circular buffer.
SRAM has much longer endurance than EEPROM.
It does not require a large battery to supply backup power. A 10mm button cell is all it takes.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Serial FLASH meets your requirements.

Generally a bit faster and larger memory sizes available.

Beware of long chip erase times in some parts.