Choosing a reliable dc motor?

robotix123

Joined Jan 17, 2019
Hello. I'm thinking of building a prototype robot/testing machine for industrial purposes. Now *i dont think* i need a high torque motor. Typically i choose grainger motors for my projects because they are always available and fairly reliable, but say i want a cheaper DC motor, where do you all suggest i look? I'd like one that will be manufactured for a while so my design isnt constantly changing and it is reliable enough to last a few years if i decide to sell my product.

I cant seem to trust those smaller dc motors for long term use, but maybe im just paranoid?

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
Grainger is a specific brand ...... I can't imagine the particular brand will matter much ...

My understanding is if it's got brushes , forget it , they wear out and spark have a short life ....

Brushless DC is the only choice and one brand is as good as any other ... what can wear out??? only the bearings , and these will realistically last for ever in your application.

Have a look on eBay in the RC section , all sizes and speeds at cheap prices.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The only problem with RC 3ph motors is they are used in a velocity application, for robotics you really need a commutated motor, either BLDC or DC and usually some kind of feed back device to close the loop.
DC brushed motors are becoming rarer, but the N.A. and European versions have typically given very reliable service for many years.
Max.