Choosing a braking resistor

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If using reversing with the MC2100, it is often done with two relays, one for reversing, the other to shunt the motor at off, or switch in a braking resistor.
With my unit I use two PB's, stop and start, the stop implements the braking relay.

daxliniere

Joined Aug 7, 2021
Well, I got it all running. Still need to build a proper controller to replace the giant TM control panel and I'm also reconsidering building a new motor PSU/speed controller from an SCR unit. The spin-up time is REALLY slow, which makes sense for a TM, but not for a lathe. It would be great if there was some way to change that spin-up time, but I'm guessing it's done in firmware, so unlikely there'll be an easy way to change that.

Here's a video of it's first run:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you are using the console etc, it most likely will be different control that a stand-alone PWM control into the HD2 connector.
The TM micro in the console will output a controlled signal, it is programmed for that application./

daxliniere

Joined Aug 7, 2021
If you are using the console etc, it most likely will be different control that a stand-alone PWM control into the HD2 connector.
The TM micro in the console will output a controlled signal, it is programmed for that application./
Ahh, I see. I figured that the MC2100 board was doing all those smarts, especially since it was self-adjusting the speed when I had no load connected and that it has the tachometer connection on it. After doing some more research, I found the service manual for the 2100 series and can see that the tach signal is simply passed straight to the control board anyway.
Cool, so I can look forward to better general operation once I have designed and build the new control system for it.