checking LIN signal with measurement only up to 10V range

David Vybíral

Joined May 25, 2016
Hello, I need to monitoring communication on LIN bus. I have measurement which is possible to measuring only up to 10 V range, but on Lin is over 10V. How can I simply reduce voltage level without affected communication data flow.

David Vybíral

Joined May 25, 2016
LIN is local interconnect network, mostly using in cars electronics control unit, signal is moving between 0 - 13,5 Volts , in my case would like to trigger logical 1 on LIN, if I used standart oscilloscope it is simply, but I have instead of oscilosope Data acquisition unit it has weaker range unlike of oscilloscope, only 10V range for analog input.

upload_2016-5-26_7-3-47.png

Attachments

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
If I understand you correctly, are you referring to the CAN BUS that all vehicles now incorporate for communication between modules? What protocol are you working with?
LIN was a protocol used back in the 90's on European vehicles if I am not mistaken? What vehicle are you working with?

cork_ie

Joined Oct 8, 2011
Hello, I need to monitoring communication on LIN bus. I have measurement which is possible to measuring only up to 10 V range, but on Lin is over 10V. How can I simply reduce voltage level without affected communication data flow.
LIN stands for Local Interconnect Network. It is a slow speed, single wire network, which is very different to CAN.
The most notable differences are:
1) That it operates in Master -Slave mode and
2) The reference voltage is 12V . Data on the bus is either recessive (logic HIGH) or dominant (logic LOW)

Thus if you need to check for LIN data you will need to check for logic voltage variations with respect to 12V+ and not with respect to 0V.
I am sure your meter or measuring device will work fine for detecting data on the bus.