Checking a lot pieces capacitors on board. Which to test first ?

UnnamedUser159

Joined May 3, 2016
I have here notebook mainboard. It had a problem and won`t power on but when removed the charger and battery and press the power button for a time and then put back them everything was good. But after few days that is not a decision.

I will try test the bigger capacitors first or to search for a scheme and look for some logic.

thanks

Other discussion about the case here -> https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/...ue-have-only-marking-now.151908/#post-1303122 :)

Last edited:

digsys

Joined Jun 27, 2018
Rather than just start changing things, you really should do a few tests first - #1 is always the power rails. Even without a circuit, you can generally
figure out what voltage should be where. Start with the DC_in section. Clip -ve probe to a fixed 0V and probe ICs, caps etc
You're looking for 3V3 / 5V0 / 1V8 or standard voltages around those. Ideally, if you can get hold of an oscilloscope, it will be much easier.
Look up IC specs to find their power pin. For "bad" caps, you're looking for bulges (can be tiny), or leakages.
Start with that and people wild guide you further.

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
Try removing all the ram from the slots and see if it shows any signs of power up, then replace one at a time if more than one fitted. In the last year I have had 3 laptops with one faulty ram board causing the same symptoms you describe. In all cases, the owners had been using them on surfaces that didn't allow sufficient air flow.

UnnamedUser159

Joined May 3, 2016
I have an not cheap osciloscope but still dont have a lot of skills to use it and am a little afraid to use it.

I will use it today again with this motherboard. the board is da0zb3mb6e0 rev:e

Will update the thread with results.

Last edited:

UnnamedUser159

Joined May 3, 2016
recklessrog the notebooks comes "in me" with 2 RAMs, i remove them and install only one mine(which i use for tests) into Slot1. Have cleaned the sockets with contact cleaner and then put the left cleaner out with spray.

UnnamedUser159

Joined May 3, 2016
The replacement of battery cannot be done.

I will put back 2 capacitors on board will try to power without 2 RAMs

edit without Rams is like with one tested - blink maybe 8 times and that`s that

Last edited:

UnnamedUser159

Joined May 3, 2016
https://ibb.co/hmkoAK
https://ibb.co/mbSPje

Uploading has problems in AAC...

Regulator 0 0 0
13.20V pd13
pq2 1.53v gate
1.58 zenner
14.27 capacitor
000 capacitor
000 capacitor
pc1 000
pc22 000
c near CPU 000 000
max 1999 17 pin Vcc 5.10V
pc120 122 000
g965-18 2pin 000
4119n x2 gate 000
4812 g1 g2 000
4422 g1 g2 000
4812 g1 g2 000

edit1
i see short D-S in 6690as without desoldering the ic. The element should by faulty, right?

digsys

Joined Jun 27, 2018
That is some serious tiny / complex motherboard. To be honest, it is not an easy diagnosis even for an "expert" tech. Even worse, trying to guide
someone through. As far as replacing parts with weird / strange markings, you'd need to have done a lot of this type of work, to be confident in
figuring out what the part is, and if it is faulty. There's just too many questions, and too many possibilities.
Do you have a local PC nerd repair guy? or a local PC user group. That may be your best bet.

UnnamedUser159

Joined May 3, 2016
I am the man which do all the things. I do with monitors, computer power supply units and others and others.
As i said i have an osciloscope and if someone tells me conrecete where what to look for i will tell everything.
A man should begin "from somewhere" The education is education but practice begins with such things.

Do you think that

i see short D-S in 6690as without desoldering the ic. The element should by faulty, right?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
OK, whether a short (diode test or ohm setting?) means it is likely defective will depend on whether your positive probe was on the source or drain, whether there was any gate charge (static or a momentary touch with the positive probe can turn on a mosfet), the circuit (e.g., is there a gate discharge resistor), and other faults on the board, e.g., a short between the positive rail or drain of the mosfet and ground (assuming the source is grounded).

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I suggest resoldering the power connector connections, and the power switch connections. It is an example of very poor quality to only have the power connector surface mounted to the mother board.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
That's a terrible repair strategy for a motherboard.......in so many ways. You're gonna need a lot of patience and persistence. And a lot of time. Is the board worth it? How many hours do you need to work to pay for used board or have it repaired? It might cost you more for repair.......after you have tried to repair. Some motherboard manufactures will replace older boards for a set fee.