Cheap lithium ion cell discharge protection modules

seanspotatobusiness

Joined Sep 17, 2016
You can buy discharge protection modules fairly cheaply but I notice they tend to have discharge protection kick in at ~2.5 V. Isn't that already an over-discharged state for a lithium ion? I've read that a minimum voltage should be 2.8 or even 3.0 V. Are they expecting other circuitry to stop the voltage getting to this point in normal use? Is there an easy way to adjust the threshold by maybe just changing one or two components?

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
You can buy discharge protection modules fairly cheaply but I notice they tend to have discharge protection kick in at ~2.5 V. Isn't that already an over-discharged state for a lithium ion? I've read that a minimum voltage should be 2.8 or even 3.0 V. Are they expecting other circuitry to stop the voltage getting to this point in normal use? Is there an easy way to adjust the threshold by maybe just changing one or two components?
There is not a simple yes or no answer to your question. The first thing you should do is read the spec sheet for the battery in question. Different manufacturers use slightly different chemistry in their batteries so they have different characteristics. For more information, I suggest you read this article:
https://lygte-info.dk/info/BatteryLowVoltage UK.html