Cheap 220VAC solenoid valves will I need to add TVS?

Larry4911

Joined Mar 15, 2012
I'm going to be controlling 3 x 1A 220VAC solenoid valves with an 25A SSR. What I cannot find out, because of the language difference, is do the cheap Chinese solenoid valves have any level of TVS onboard?

Should I add TVS just to be sure or will the 25A SSR handle any transients produced in the coils?

I perhaps should mention, I've had a 2KW hotplate running via a PID controller and the same type SSR for well over a year with daily use with ZERO problems.

So, am I worrying for no reason or should I add TVS to protect the solenoids etc.?

Thanks

Larry

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Check the spec of your SSR. Does it have TVS built in? Is it rated for inductive loads? It's more likely any external TVS protection would benefit the SSR rather than the solenoid.

Larry4911

Joined Mar 15, 2012
Thanks for the push. I have gotten into a nasty habit, as I have been using the same devices for some years, of not bothering with datasheets.

Looking at the SSR datasheet ( it does have an internal snubber circuit to 2.5KV) and knowing the potential problems of zero-crossing SSRs and inductors. I've decided I need to go up to the 40DA SSR in place of the 25DA. The extra large snubber in the 40DA will improve the life of my system.

Thanks all.

Larry