Charging Li-Ion Batteries

nDever

Joined Jan 13, 2011
I tend charge my mobile phone in the afternoon, but sometimes I forget to remove it from the charger overnight. Is it unhealthy to leave li-ion batteries plugged in after they're fully charged? I've seen somewhere that when the batteries become fully charged, the charger stops charging the battery.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
There is enough computing power in your device to implement a verrrry complicated charging algorithm, including protecting the battery from you...

A.D-J

Joined Mar 5, 2015
There are a usually a few levels of safety that stop you overcharging your phone battery
  1. Charger IC in the device - Shuts off charge when a certain low current threshold is met (Fully charged batt)
  2. Charger IC in the device - Shuts off charge when a certain 'charge time' expires (redundancy if the low current threshold isnt met for whatever reason)
  3. (Usually have this) Battery PCM - Breaks connection when an over voltage is detected (symptom of charge not stopping)
  4. (Usually have this) Battery PCM - Contains a thermistor that is measured by the device and is acted upon if an over temperature is detected (symptom of overcharge)
So for your iphone or whatever it doesnt really do any harm to leave it plugged in but if youve bought some crappy super-cheap mp3 player or something i wouldnt trust leaving it plugged in; its cheap for a reason! So really for best pracitce and an extra level of redundancy, just unplug it ^^

Arran