Charging batteries with a variable power supply

Jacquesl

Joined Dec 9, 2006
How to charge a normal lead acid car battery and an Absorbent glass mat 7ah battery

I have a diode built into my power supply

How can I build a charger that will maintain the battery for then needed, it’s like a UPS type
Will it work if I use my 1.5A variable power supply and set the output to exactly 13.80 volt DC, will that charge my battery to 13.80 and maintain it without overcharging for a couple of years and without making gas builds ups

In my test it’s a discharged battery and the power supply is set to 13,80V DC and if I connect the wires the voltage drop down to 13.40v and it charge at a rate of 0.20A, but why not 1A or 1,5A ?

goodbyegti

Joined Apr 28, 2004
You just need to hold it at about 13.2V for float charge. As the voltage of the battery approaches the voltage of the PSU the current drops to zero.

If you deep discharge it you can charge it to 14.4V to help fully break down the lead sulphate which forms on the plates but don't hold it there or you'll electrolyse away your electrolyte.

Jacquesl

Joined Dec 9, 2006
You just need to hold it at about 13.2V for float charge
Do alternator regulators and normal car battery chargers work the same? That the above method

Because I my charger I use in my homemade UPS is set permanently set to Trickle charging, and sometimes the voltage get 14V max, and will Trickle charging also charge my batteries then it’s discharged during a power outage

If you deep discharge it you can charge it to 14.4V to help fully break down the lead sulphate which forms on the plates but don't hold it there or you'll electrolyse away your electrolyte.
How long will I need to apply that 14.4V to my batteries then is deep discharged, and will it also work for a car battery that haven’t be charge for almost a year or more, it doesn’t want to hold it’s charge