charges inside a vacuum

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
Here is some data for the case of electrons introduced one at a time. This type of modeling takes longer and a case of 100 electrons takes a full overnight run on my computer. I set the program to introduce an electron randomly near the center every 1 second. It starts with 1 electron, and then after 1 second another is introduced and then at 2 seconds another, and so on.

I precalculate all of the initial positions for the 100 electrons and the plots will show them sitting there waiting to be activated. However, before they are activated they have no effect. They do not apply force to the other electrons and they do not move in response to forces from the other electrons.

There are two plots. The first shows the radial distance of the electrons and the second is a 3D plot to show that the electrons are distributed around the full sphere at the surface.

Attachments

Last edited:

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
Steve, you've done really amazing work here. Funny thing is I agree with your results, but I interpret them differently. I'm still looking for the time to explain, but suffice it to say that at this point your results, to me anyway, reinforce my original supposition.

I profusely thank for doing all this work, and I will eventually find the time to explain myself.

Thanks.

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
I profusely thank for doing all this work, and I will eventually find the time to explain myself.
Oh, you are welcome, and it was no problem at all. I thank you for being persistent and opening my mind up on the question. It is only by questioning things that one can learn, and I learned quite a few things that I feel were worth the time that I put in.

Clearly, there is room for interpretation of what I've done, and I don't feel my work was in any way exhaustive on the subject. I view this as a reasonable first step, and in no way does it constitute a formal proof. I'm willing to discuss this more over the long term, as determined by people's available time and interest level.