Change resistor inside LED illuminated switch?

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
It should be tricky to find the catches the first time, but not after you find the way it is held tight.
If many at hand, perhaps risking sacrificing the first will be less of a headache later.
Start prying out the blue section.

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
sure ... they come in packs of 10 , so dismantle one to see where the resistor is positioned ,

then , on the next switch you can just make a small hole/s in the casing where needed to get electrical contact with the resister , probably best to leave the original in place and put one of the right value in parallel with it

One end of the resister must be connected to one of the terminals , so you only have to make one hole and one connection inside the casing..

I'm assuming dismantling the switch will break plastic and prevent reassembly.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Would be helpful if we knew what voltage you want to operate the switch at.

Once you've found the way to open them so that they can be reassembled, you can simply piggy-back a parallel resistor to bring you into the correct current for the LED.

Do you understand how parallel resistors change the current? If so - good. If not, we can explain that part of it too.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Wouldn't this work? Two coin cell batteries between the ground terminal of the switch and chassis ground? The switch would be working at 6 volts but the current path through the coin cells would still see 12 volts, 12 mA. No?

[edit] forgot to draw in the polarity of the coins. The small end is the negative. In the circuit, the LED will still see 12 mA while the switch controls six volts to the load. If 5 volts is desired as a control, then 11 mA will be the calculated current through the LED. The coin cells should last quite a long time.

Keep in mind, I think in simple terms. This should work. Whether it's practical or not - I don't know. Depends on how circuit is being used. If it's infrequently and for short periods of time I'd imagine this should last quite a long time, without need to modify the switch at all. Otherwise, if you truly want to modify the switch, piggy-backing another 1KΩ resistor on top of the existing 1KΩ (1K is assumed) should drop the operating voltage down to 6 volts. The difference at 5 volts is negligible.

Coin operated switch.jpg

Last edited: