Change from manual to automatic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
What operation needs to be automatic? Switch forward? Switch reverse? Blow the fuse? ..... ?
What will start the operation? What will end it?

Last edited:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
How frequent is the back and forth?
If the relay is for reversing a motor, particularly a powerful motor then it is a bad idea to change direction without ensuring the motor has first stopped.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Short answer, NO! With that inadequate bit of information no, it can not be made automatic.
Possibly with more information it would be possible to arrange for the motor to reverse when some point is reached.
But with what is shown the best that could be provided is a scheme for the motor to randomly jerk back and forth.

What is missing is an indication of what shows that the motor has driven "whatever" to the point where it is ready to return to someplace else.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Anyone else able to make sense of the drawing? I can't.

How are those contact points connected?
What's the switch actually switching?
What's the goal?
Does this arrangement currently exist? Or is it an idea?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I am guessing that the black box is a dual relay package and that the switch in the upper right side of the picture is a center off type, and that depending on which way it is set the contacts in the black box sonnect the motor terminals to the battery+ and negative terminals to run the motor one way or the other. That would be a fairly standard automotive black box.
And given that guess, my statement in post #6 is still what I think. There is no additional information provided to allow any design of automation, unless the amount of running in each direction does not matter. In that case it would be simple.

renniek12

Joined Mar 28, 2020
How frequent is the back and forth?
If the relay is for reversing a motor, particularly a powerful motor then it is a bad idea to change direction without ensuring the motor has first stopped.
The train goes down the track for about 15 seconds each way.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
You would need to have a sensing switch close to each end of the track.
AND Iam certain that I have seen this exact question posted before. there were a lot of comments but no answer that bthe TS liked.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
"The train"
Obviously this is for a train. How could you all have missed it? And if "automatic operation" needs to be explained to you...

Are there no longer any internet experts whose free answers are worth the priceless time to ask an incomplete question? I would have a talk with the manager if I were you. This is ridiculous.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
"The train"
Obviously this is for a train. How could you all have missed it? And if "automatic operation" needs to be explained to you...

Are there no longer any internet experts whose free answers are worth the priceless time to ask an incomplete question? I would have a talk with the manager if I were you. This is ridiculous.
POST#1 shows an automotive 12 volt battery!! Nobody runs a train on a 12 volt automotive battery!! The first mention of a train is in post #11. NOTHING ABOUT A TRAIN WAS MENTIONED UNTIL POST 11, so don't be telling us it was obvious and we missed it. OK?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
POST#1 shows an automotive 12 volt battery!! Nobody runs a train on a 12 volt automotive battery!! The first mention of a train is in post #11. NOTHING ABOUT A TRAIN WAS MENTIONED UNTIL POST 11, so don't be telling us it was obvious and we missed it. OK?
At least one of us can't identify sarcasm in text. It might be me.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
The trains (trolley's) I've seen are far more sophisticated than simply having a switch to change direction. The last train show I attended had this very thing in several exhibits where a trolly would - um - trolly from one end of town to the other. Stop for a minute then go back to the other end. Had to be some more sophisticated setup than just some switches. Maybe a proximity switch or hall effect transistor to sense the presence of the train and its location as well as direction of travel. Command the train to slow and stop. Then after a set period of time reverse direction. I wouldn't think I'd want to be slamming a model train locomotive from forward to reverse in an instant. Likelihood the train would derail.

Lots of great train setups at the exhibit. Very impressed. Makes me want to take up the hobby. I played with electric trains and race car sets when I was a kid. Today's kids don't want to know anything about something they have to assemble and operate. If it doesn't have an ap they aren't interested in it.

HEY! MAYBE WE SHOULD DESIGN A TRAIN THAT CAN BE RUN FROM A CELL PHONE.

Awe geez! Just gave away another million dollar idea. Yeah, I could have hit delete. Oh well.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
So why didn't the TS tell us what was really wanted back at post #1? Automaticly reversing a motor could be anything, from a donut-dunker to a washer machine. Most of the responding folks here are not mind readers, unable to instantly perceive details from some cryptic statement.
AND, the train motion has been completely worked out in a long thread some time ago, all the way to initiating the slowdown to stopping perfectly. so if somebody able to search through the threads can find it the TS can have a complete answer.
AND, note that the picture in post #1, with a 12 volt automotive battery, is not even remotely similar to how model trains are driven. Nobody launches them with 12 volts and unlimited current.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Agreed, we need to get better at understanding the bigger picture especially when helping those who have not spent much time on forums.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
So why didn't the TS tell us what was really wanted back at post #1? Automaticly reversing a motor could be anything, from a donut-dunker to a washer machine. Most of the responding folks here are not mind readers, unable to instantly perceive details from some cryptic statement.
AND, the train motion has been completely worked out in a long thread some time ago, all the way to initiating the slowdown to stopping perfectly. so if somebody able to search through the threads can find it the TS can have a complete answer.
AND, note that the picture in post #1, with a 12 volt automotive battery, is not even remotely similar to how model trains are driven. Nobody launches them with 12 volts and unlimited current.
Yes, that's an accurate decryption of my sarcasm. This thread reminds me of questions and assignments I've been given by bad bosses. They make very vague, foolish comments or suggestions and then somehow immediately make you look the fool for not understanding. They put you on the defensive, scrambling to recover by begging more silly details about their silly plans as if making their dreams come true is what you were born to do. OP could be any of the people in this room except Anderson:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
The trains (trolley's) I've seen are far more sophisticated than simply having a switch to change direction. The last train show I attended had this very thing in several exhibits where a trolly would - um - trolly from one end of town to the other. Stop for a minute then go back to the other end. Had to be some more sophisticated setup than just some switches. Maybe a proximity switch or hall effect transistor to sense the presence of the train and its location as well as direction of travel. Command the train to slow and stop. Then after a set period of time reverse direction. I wouldn't think I'd want to be slamming a model train locomotive from forward to reverse in an instant. Likelihood the train would derail.

Lots of great train setups at the exhibit. Very impressed. Makes me want to take up the hobby. I played with electric trains and race car sets when I was a kid. Today's kids don't want to know anything about something they have to assemble and operate. If it doesn't have an ap they aren't interested in it.

HEY! MAYBE WE SHOULD DESIGN A TRAIN THAT CAN BE RUN FROM A CELL PHONE.

Awe geez! Just gave away another million dollar idea. Yeah, I could have hit delete. Oh well.
You didn’t give away anything. There are several commercial and open source products which do exactly that. Control a model train from a cell phone.

Same thing for what the TS has asked. There are many commercial and open source solutions. Search for “model train automatic reversing”

Status
Not open for further replies.