Change frequency of PCB

Verdomde

Joined Mar 16, 2021
Hi, I have some speakers I love, they have a PCB RF reciever inside. I bought more speakers but they are a different frequency.. I'd like to change them so they all match but have no idea what I am doing. Can you help?16159166951512988987679886266154.jpg

Attachments

peterdeco

Joined Oct 8, 2019
Welcome. I don't see a resonator, crystal or tuning coil to set frequency. I take it the transmitter attaches to the audio output of the stereo. Can you split the audio output and feed both transmitters?

peterdeco

Joined Oct 8, 2019
The transmitter and frequency determining elements are in that sealed metal enclosure. Changing the frequency doesn't look good to me.

sparky 1

Joined Nov 3, 2018
Possibly I did'nt understand.
You have 2 recievers that are parts of speakers that are working nicely. (therefore the transmitter is working fine)
Later you bought 2 more recievers. For some reason the new version use a different channel or something.
You would like to have all the boards match. The receiver setting should be in a technical support document.
That issue would seem to be a common question. Maybe I missed something not sure.

edit: could it be that there is a channel auto select that manually selecting was too difficult.
remember issues such as this in early computer accessories for plug and play.

Last edited:

Verdomde

Joined Mar 16, 2021
Hi sparky, yeah, that's more or less it. Grabbed some extra from eBay because I like them so much. But the frequency is country specific. The manufacturer (Griffin) stopped making them a decade ago, and no-one there could help.

sparky 1

Joined Nov 3, 2018
I see that march 5, 2009 FCC sited Griffin Technology for non compliant frequency.
The chips in those days may not have been frequency programmable so the Taiwan made products in the US
may have been discontinued, removed from market. Later the Griffin Evolve series did alright.

Last edited:

seanstevens

Joined Sep 22, 2009
It looks like the frequency and other parameters are programmed into each module using J2 connector. Unless you can get the datasheet/programming procedure information to reprogram them, it would be very difficult to do anything with them. They are not like the old analogue transmitter-receiver that you can just change the crystal to change the frequency. region-specific frequencies are in the 800 & 900MHz range.
In a hackers hand, it might be possible to read the configuration content from one of your old receivers and then reprogram the new ones with that configuration. In any case, not that simple a job to do.
So does this mean you would have to buy transmitter and receiver pair when purchasing, i.e. you cannot just buy additional receivers, if you could do this, maybe there would be a way in the manual, to pair a new receiver to an old transmitter.

Verdomde

Joined Mar 16, 2021
I'd be more than happy to buy more recievers, but they aren't available, or I wouldn't know how to source them (Griffin said they have nothing left from these devices)