Chances of US Govt shutdown April 28 2017?

Do you think the US Govt will shutdown later this week?

• Yes for less than one week

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes for over two weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
IMO I can't see the Republicans letting it happen cuz a shutdown on new administration's 100 day anniversary would be totally too embarrassing! So I predict the Republicans will cave just enough to get a CR! So what do you think:D?

PS Sry for the typos in the poll:(!!! The f''in software won't let me fix them:mad::(

Moderator edit: fixed typos in poll.

Last edited:

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
If it gets shut down it will need to be Trump that does it with a veto.
The R's aren't going to shut it down over funding for a wall or defunding of Planned Parenthood or Obama Care subsidies.
What they might get from the D's is money for more border security and more money for the military. What the D's want for that who knows.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I liked you better when you were anticipating a planet killer asteroid.:cool:
It seems so much more real than politics.:D
And probably less painful!:)

A bunch of plutocrats squabbling about what to do with currency that has no basis in real wealth?
Acting like there is something left to win while staring into the largest debt in the history of the planet?
Which they pretend is the responsibility of the working drones who haven't seen any gain in their wealth since 1980?
And you're here asking us drones what we expect of the ruling class.:confused:

How is their squabble going to affect me?
I don't even think the surveillance state will miss a few days of photographing my license plate in the grocery store parking lot.
I find more relevance in watching South Park on TV.

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
If it gets shut down it will need to be Trump that does it with a veto.
The R's aren't going to shut it down over funding for a wall or defunding of Planned Parenthood or Obama Care subsidies.
What they might get from the D's is money for more border security and more money for the military. What the D's want for that who knows.
Ronv I agree cuz it's sure true that The Freedom Caucus (carcass;)?) aren't doing their party any favors:rolleyes:! IMO The Donald's real problem is he's stuck in tawdry celebrity mode which in this case might actually be a good thing motivating him to avoid shutdown cuz gridlock on day 100 would be bad PR even footlights can't outshine:eek:

How is their squabble going to affect me?
I don't even think the surveillance state will miss a few days of photographing my license plate in the grocery store parking lot.
I find more relevance in watching South Park on TV.
#12 I'm not federal employee but part of my business includes US Govt contracts so it can mean a lot more work unless we decide to hold them in breach of contract which our lawyers say is sound and which I am seriously considering cuz it's arrogant of them to think they can just buy our tolerance of their childish games! What some ppl don't get is that money only over-equals time when someone is low on money otherwise time is way more important! And I say it's just insulting for bureaucrats to think I value renegotiated contract over my time just because it means a lot more compensation!

I liked you better when you were anticipating a planet killer asteroid.:cool:
Seriously I never understood why ppl worry abt that sort of thing? I mean it's not like any of us are here to stay anyway? So plz don't think I'm being cynical cuz I'm all for addressing manageable risk but when it's totally beyond control of humanity then is time to say _it was fun while it lasted_ and meet death like an adult!

And you're here asking us drones what we expect of the ruling class.:confused:
@#12 I say it's like placing bet at track but on jackasses instead of horses;):D

PS When I said _jackasses_ I meant all politicians not just the party of Jackson:D

Joined Nov 30, 2010
plz don't think I'm being cynical cuz I'm all for addressing manageable risk but when it's totally beyond control of humanity then is time to say _it was fun while it lasted_ and meet death like an adult!
You can certainly believe I am cynical. The $19.5 trillion national debt is no longer a manageable risk. $19.5 E^12/326E^6 people = $60,000 required from every man, woman, and child in the country while the bottom 90% of the population is still trying to survive on 1980 income. That is what I call, "beyond the control of humanity".

Our bridges, roads, and water supplies are falling apart while the ruling class buys war all over the planet by going into debt for another half a trillion borrowed dollars per year. This week they threaten to halt their spending for a few days over the price of Trump's Mexico Wall fantasy. I think that resembles two whales arguing over a single sardine.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Form the UK:
I find it interesting that this has not made it into the news here (at least none that I have seen/heard) and our news does generally include news of US shutdowns.
That might be because we have Brexit and a general election leading the news but even so...

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
#12 I'm not federal employee but part of my business includes US Govt contracts so it can mean a lot more work unless we decide to hold them in breach of contract which our lawyers say is sound and which I am seriously considering cuz it's arrogant of them to think they can just buy our tolerance of their childish games! What some ppl don't get is that money only over-equals time when someone is low on money otherwise time is way more important! And I say it's just insulting for bureaucrats to think I value renegotiated contract over my time just because it means a lot more compensation!
Ha, you obviously haven't read all of the attachments and references to the contracts that you signed. If you follow one in particular, you reach one that essentially says "pound salt". But, you must have known the US government shuts down. Did you get the US Government to sign a special letter to say you get compensated during a shutdown? Do you think you and your company are the first to think of suing the government? Have you read the entire set of US government subcontracting documents? All contingencies, including no requirement for the government to pay during their imposed work stoppages are covered.

Is your situation more special than everyone else's? Are you more deserving? Do you need corporate welfare (in the form of rule-bending) because you cannot diversify your customer base and limit your operating risk? Quick, file a lawsuit!

PS. Please file your lawsuit in your Canadian courts so you don't waste my tax dollars.

Our bridges, roads, and water supplies are falling apart while the ruling class buys war all over the planet by going into debt for another half a trillion borrowed dollars per year. This week they threaten to halt their spending for a few days over the price of Trump's Mexico Wall fantasy. I think that resembles two whales arguing over a single sardine.
---Emphasis added---

Indeed! And for all that the conservatives are on Trump's back for proposed infrastructural spending!:rolleyes: -- IOW I agree with you!:cool:

then is time to say _it was fun while it lasted_ and meet death like an adult!
Drama thy name is youth!:p

Ha, you obviously haven't read all of the attachments and references to the contracts that you signed. If you follow one in particular, you reach one that essentially says "pound salt". But, you must have known the US government shuts down. Did you get the US Government to sign a special letter to say you get compensated during a shutdown? Do you think you and your company are the first to think of suing the government? Have you read the entire set of US government subcontracting documents? All contingencies, including no requirement for the government to pay during their imposed work stoppages are covered.

Is your situation more special than everyone else's? Are you more deserving? Do you need corporate welfare (in the form of rule-bending) because you cannot diversify your customer base and limit your operating risk? Quick, file a lawsuit!

PS. Please file your lawsuit in your Canadian courts so you don't waste my tax dollars.
While I hesitate to speak for @Aleph(0) I am aware that her solicitors are highly regarded (and very well compensated) so... failing all else, poor, overworked Aleph will have a 'tidy' malpractice award/settlement by way of assuagement of her 'righteous indignation':p:D

Very best regards
HP:)

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Indeed! And for all that the conservatives are on Trump's back for proposed infrastructural spending!
I'm not sure what infrastructure spending has been done elsewhere in the country but around my state they (probably mostly my own state government going it alone) has dumped a huge amount of money into fixing up and improving our roadways plus a lot of other critical public infrastructure systems already.

To be honest even with our oil fields slowing down starting two years ago high level regional infrastructure plus oil field related support systems work has still continued on at an impressive pace. Roads are being rebuilt an improved, pipeline work at all levels is still going hard and fast and despite not having anywhere near the people migrating in or out general business and housing construction has not slowed down much at all. :cool:

Guessing most of its being funded locally and not federally at this point which if so a government shutdown won't make a huge impact here. Slight inconvenience at best. Maybe even an improvement in some areas! ;)

For the record my vote was 'no shutdown', that said:

IMO I can't see the Republicans letting it happen cuz a shutdown on new administration's 100 day anniversary would be totally too embarrassing!
Expecting adherence to anything like 'logic' from Washington is riding for a fall:eek:

The Freedom Caucus (carcass;)?) aren't doing their party any favors:rolleyes:!
carcass is right! -- and a rapidly 'ripening' one at that!:eek::rolleyes:

IMO The Donald's real problem is he's stuck in tawdry celebrity mode which in this case might actually be a good thing motivating him to avoid shutdown cuz gridlock on day 100 would be bad PR even footlights can't outshine:eek:
---Emphasis added---

My sentiments exactly! - as his raid on Syria demonstrated, he can be expected to follow the loudest applause - utterly without regard to its quarter!:rolleyes:

So, young lady! I've a bone to pick with you! -- To wit: What's up with starting a political thread?!:mad::mad::mad:

With wan regards
HPo_O

Last edited:
I'm not sure what infrastructure spending has been done elsewhere in the country but around my state they (probably mostly my own state government going it alone) has dumped a huge amount of money into fixing up and improving our roadways plus a lot of other critical public infrastructure systems already.

To be honest even with our oil fields slowing down starting two years ago high level regional infrastructure plus oil field related support systems work has still continued on at an impressive pace. Roads are being rebuilt an improved, pipeline work at all levels is still going hard and fast and despite not having anywhere near the people migrating in or out general business and housing construction has not slowed down much at all. :cool:

Guessing most of its being funded locally and not federally at this point which if so a government shutdown won't make a huge impact here. Slight inconvenience at best. Maybe even an improvement in some areas! ;)
Speaking for myself, I have no problem whatever with government spending where same is in the interests of the American people (e.g. infrastructure, public safety, judiciously applied military/national defense and, indeed, healthcare and honoring 'entitlements', etc...) That's why we pay taxes! -- I regard the ultra-conservative ploy of conflating public and private debt absurd on to offensive:rolleyes: It seems the Conservative mind interprets 'fiscal responsibility' as 'we take your tax dollars and keep them!':eek:

Very best regards
HP:)

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
You can certainly believe I am cynical. The $19.5 trillion national debt is no longer a manageable risk. $19.5 E^12/326E^6 people = $60,000 required from every man, woman, and child in the country while the bottom 90% of the population is still trying to survive on 1980 income. That is what I call, "beyond the control of humanity".
Make believe you just bought a vacation home with a 30 year mortgage. It may make you feel just a tiny bit better.:rolleyes:
No? Well I tried.:)

Our problem is we want to have that vacation house but we don't want to make the payments.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Government doesn't build ANYTHING.

They spend money, and think up new ways to get more.
They create laws with "punitive" punishment (ex. Moving Violations)
They enforce the rules they have made with the force of arms. Resistance is meet with ever greater force up to death in many instances. You WILL submit if the armed agents of the state wish to detain you no matter the reason.

THAT IS GOVERNMENT.

I think I will have the smallest serving it is possible to utilize.
Thank you for your time.

:)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Our problem is we want to have that vacation house but we don't want to make the payments.
I'm going to give you room to clarify that statement. Who is the, "we" that wants Perpetual War and Universal Surveillance, but doesn't want to spend (more that this years' GDP) to pay for it? Do you count yourself among those who act like the whole planet is where you are allowed to drop bombs and wealth is what comes out of a printing press?

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
If they do shut down, and they send "non-essential" personnel home, will the president, upon enactment of funding, pay the wage grade employees for their off time?

In the past, no matter how long the shutdown, the employee's were paid for their government mandated "vacation."

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Are you kiddin? Turning the sewer spicket off is a blessing.

And yes I said spicket....not spigot.

It's a fake shutdown anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.