cell phone repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrakota

Joined Feb 8, 2005
Hi,
any one knows a good book or maybe an online course where i can learn cell phone repair? not only one model of cell phones i need cell phones repair in general.

please excuse my poor english and thanks for any help

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by terrakota@Apr 21 2006, 10:57 PM
Hi,
any one knows a good book or maybe an online course where i can learn cell phone repair? not only one model of cell phones i need cell phones repair in general.

please excuse my poor english and thanks for any help
[post=16399]Quoted post[/post]​
Don't bother. You have neither the time nor the tools to even attempt this activity. People are expensive, silicon is cheap. When a cellphone ceases to function you don't fix it you toss it.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by thingmaker3@Apr 22 2006, 08:23 PM
People outside the fat & lazy "first world" countries do indeed repair cell phones. Not everyone participates in "thorw away economics."

Cell Phone Repair Course

kssinfotech
[post=16429]Quoted post[/post]​
Fat and lazy? You might want to get off your high horse there fella. If you're in a third world country what are you doing with a cellphone in the first place. Why aren't you building roads and schools and bridges. In any country the decision to repair or replace is a question of how much your time is worth and how much the item is worth. It has to do with the resources and skills for diagnosing a problem and then making a repair by replacing components, or subsystems. It is about access to parts and tools and the acquisition of skills.

On a limited budget, you can probably replace a battery pack, maybe the speaker, or the microphone. Is anybody seriously suggesting that a cellphone is worth acquiring the skills and tools to repair boards with surface mount components? If your phone is worth so much more than your time, then go ahead and knock yourself out.

terrakota

Joined Feb 8, 2005
thanks thingmaker for the links

take it easy guys, this not an economical or politics discution, i'm just asking for a course that´s all, and yes i live in thirt world country, we have 2 cell phone companies and everybody haves a cell phone, and i just want to apply for a job in one of those companies. i dont know if in your country those thing are cheap and you only trow it and buy a new one but in this kind of countries we dont have that luxury and phone repair is one of the best business rigth know. and i like to know best those technoligies

thanks to all for your help

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
I lived in one of that so called third world country years ago. My experience was that they did repair all things which people in western countries consider throwaways or uneconomic/unrepairable/too-complicated/not-worth-the-trouble/too-difficult-to-repair/takes-a-long-time-to-repair things. The logic was simply most of these things cost a lot of money according to their standards and repairing them might end up cheaper, a lot cheaper.

Not only mobile phones, which are considered quite expensive, let's take cheaper things, for example, who in western world would repair a burned coil from a low quality woofer speaker? or re-wind the coil of a cheap kitchen blender?

I've repaired lots of strange things while I was there, from cheap things like speaker coils, blenders, toasters, clothes irons, soldering irons and cheap transistor radios. The other facet of it was I also repaired a lot of expensive or considered unrepairable things in western world, such as smd processor boards for plant automation that was worth upwards of GBP10K with only rudimentary equipments. I've repaired cars that were made in the 60's and still considered valuable by their owners not because they were antiques but because they were usable and needed by their owners to earn some living. Not all of us are fortunate enough to have cars that are less than 10 years old or indulging in preservation of antique cars.

I would say that engineers/tecnicians in so called third world countries are better at troubleshooting and more resourceful due to these. And considering their educations and what are available there to further themselves, most of them are brilliant.

Please don't assume that because you don't repair those things wherever you live that others in less fortunate countries don't as well. Extension to this would be, please don't assume that others that live in other countries also holds values that are dear to you in the same regards. Please don't be ignorant of the differences in this world and put forward an ignorant comment suggesting that people living in less fortunate countries are not allowed to use or own luxury items such as mobile phone and only dedicate their lives to build roads and schools!

Grant

Joined Mar 5, 2006
Originally posted by terrakota@Apr 23 2006, 02:56 PM
thanks thingmaker for the links

take it easy guys, this not an economical or politics discution, i'm just asking for a course that´s all, and yes i live in thirt world country, we have 2 cell phone companies and everybody haves a cell phone, and i just want to apply for a job in one of those companies. i dont know if in your country those thing are cheap and you only trow it and buy a new one but in this kind of countries we dont have that luxury and phone repair is one of the best business rigth know. and i like to know best those technoligies

thanks to all for your help
[post=16433]Quoted post[/post]​
Nothing wrong with wanting to get an education in repairing cell phones to work for a company that does this. All the developed countries in the world have many companies that repair cell phones...even the USA! How about that! I admire you Terrakota in your efforts in learning about the fascinating technology of cell phones and their repair and wish you well in study and job applications. Other people I'm sure will take care of the bridge, road and school building!
Cheers,
Grant

terrakota

Joined Feb 8, 2005
Originally posted by Grant@Apr 23 2006, 08:51 AM
Nothing wrong with wanting to get an education in repairing cell phones to work for a company that does this. All the developed countries in the world have many companies that repair cell phones...even the USA! How about that! I admire you Terrakota in your efforts in learning about the fascinating technology of cell phones and their repair and wish you well in study and job applications. Other people I'm sure will take care of the bridge, road and school building!
Cheers,
Grant
[post=16446]Quoted post[/post]​
thanks buddy

dbwgwee

Joined Mar 30, 2006
Originally posted by Papabravo@Apr 22 2006, 08:00 PM
Fat and lazy? You might want to get off your high horse there fella. If you're in a third world country what are you doing with a cellphone in the first place. Why aren't you building roads and schools and bridges. In any country the decision to repair or replace is a question of how much your time is worth and how much the item is worth. It has to do with the resources and skills for diagnosing a problem and then making a repair by replacing components, or subsystems. It is about access to parts and tools and the acquisition of skills.

On a limited budget, you can probably replace a battery pack, maybe the speaker, or the microphone. Is anybody seriously suggesting that a cellphone is worth acquiring the skills and tools to repair boards with surface mount components? If your phone is worth so much more than your time, then go ahead and knock yourself out.
[post=16432]Quoted post[/post]​
Once we realize that imperfect understanding is the human condition, there is no shame in being wrong, only in failing to correct our mistakes. ~GS

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Originally posted by Papabravo+Apr 22 2006, 08:00 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Papabravo @ Apr 22 2006, 08:00 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>If you're in a third world country what are you doing with a cellphone in the first place. Why aren't you building roads and schools and bridges.
[/b]

I'm sorry, did someone mention a "high horse?"

<!--QuoteBegin-Papabravo
@Apr 22 2006, 08:00 PM
In any country the decision to repair or replace is a question of how much your time is worth and how much the item is worth. It has to do with the resources and skills for diagnosing a problem and then making a repair by replacing components, or subsystems. It is about access to parts and tools and the acquisition of skills.
[/quote]
I agree completely. Those values change wildly from place to place.

alim

Joined Dec 27, 2005
Originally posted by n9352527@Apr 23 2006, 08:23 AM
I lived in one of that so called third world country years ago. My experience was that they did repair all things which people in western countries consider throwaways or uneconomic/unrepairable/too-complicated/not-worth-the-trouble/too-difficult-to-repair/takes-a-long-time-to-repair things. The logic was simply most of these things cost a lot of money according to their standards and repairing them might end up cheaper, a lot cheaper.

Not only mobile phones, which are considered quite expensive, let's take cheaper things, for example, who in western world would repair a burned coil from a low quality woofer speaker? or re-wind the coil of a cheap kitchen blender?

I've repaired lots of strange things while I was there, from cheap things like speaker coils, blenders, toasters, clothes irons, soldering irons and cheap transistor radios. The other facet of it was I also repaired a lot of expensive or considered unrepairable things in western world, such as smd processor boards for plant automation that was worth upwards of GBP10K with only rudimentary equipments. I've repaired cars that were made in the 60's and still considered valuable by their owners not because they were antiques but because they were usable and needed by their owners to earn some living. Not all of us are fortunate enough to have cars that are less than 10 years old or indulging in preservation of antique cars.

I would say that engineers/tecnicians in so called third world countries are better at troubleshooting and more resourceful due to these. And considering their educations and what are available there to further themselves, most of them are brilliant.

Please don't assume that because you don't repair those things wherever you live that others in less fortunate countries don't as well. Extension to this would be, please don't assume that others that live in other countries also holds values that are dear to you in the same regards. Please don't be ignorant of the differences in this world and put forward an ignorant comment suggesting that people living in less fortunate countries are not allowed to use or own luxury items such as mobile phone and only dedicate their lives to build roads and schools!
[post=16444]Quoted post[/post]​
Hi I live in a third world country and you have expressed fairly accurately what technicians do,spares for many things are not available but technicians fabricate substitutes which keep many pieces of equipment working,we strive to do our best with our limited resoures.YOUR POINT about troubleshooting is noted and I support it,though you have moved on and up you can still express positive sentiments about people who may be less fortunate.Good statement.

SparkMan

Joined Apr 27, 2006
I think weather or not a cell phone gets repaired depends on the company.

I know that most companies have repair centers (especially for warranties). But why it depends on the company is because some might actually repair it, others might just pitch it and send the customer a new phone.

But reguardless, somebody has to be at the bench doing the warranty repair (or non warranty)

I am a Repair Tech for Motorola 2-Way Radios, and how the repair goes depends on the product. On the lower end models, often it isn't repaired. The main board gets pitched, a new one goes in, and thats it. Some models are just not repaired.
Then on higher end models, We repair down to the resistor and capacitor level, because the cost of unit vs. repair cost.

The desicion to repair is factored on cost of components, time of repair, unit value, and other factors.

For the most part, cellphones are not worth repairing, but anymore, all these fancy models, they are not quite disposable.

It just depends on who and where you work, weather or not cellphones get repaired. I can't point you to any links, but I do know that somebody repairs Cellphones.

I wish you good luck in your interests.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Thingmaker,you are on the right tract, computer service is not
third world.This forum is the real world that we live in.Debate is good
there are no winner or losers.
LOOSEWIRE-ALL RIGHTS DESERVED

Status
Not open for further replies.