Cell Phone Question 2, Download Messages

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

I am looking for a way to download my text messages from cell phone to either USB or SD card on the phone or to PC computer via USB cable.
I would rather not have to install anything on the phone itself if possible.

I tried "DrPhone" but it does not connect properly to the phone so it doesnt do anything at all.

The phone is Android based with software version 5.0

Thanks.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
When I get a text message on my Samsung S7 I wish to keep I just Save the message. On my phone they go to; This PC\SAMSUNG-SM-G930V\Phone\Messaging and if I wish to move them to my PC I just connect the phone to my PC and navigate as shown. As soon as the phove is connected it shows up on my PC. Some phones will ask permission before showing the files. Once in there I can for example just drag and drop any messages I saved. They are saved as a .xml file so basically just text which I can view using even Notepad.

Ron

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
When I get a text message on my Samsung S7 I wish to keep I just Save the message. On my phone they go to; This PC\SAMSUNG-SM-G930V\Phone\Messaging and if I wish to move them to my PC I just connect the phone to my PC and navigate as shown. As soon as the phove is connected it shows up on my PC. Some phones will ask permission before showing the files. Once in there I can for example just drag and drop any messages I saved. They are saved as a .xml file so basically just text which I can view using even Notepad.

Ron
Hi,

Well mine wont do that for some reason. The stupid software that comes with it does not root deep enough to get the messages i guess. That's just plain dumb because that is a common desire for people with cell phones, to save their messages.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
I have used KDE connect which will run on Windows. Give it a try. I use it on Linux.
https://github.com/KDE/kdeconnect-kde
Hello,

Apparently the only way to get it to work with Windows is to make your own build and it's still new so it's more of a alpha version anyway. I dont know if i want to be bothered with that.
Another version goes on the phone itself but i dont want that.
Thanks though.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Hi,

Well mine wont do that for some reason. The stupid software that comes with it does not root deep enough to get the messages i guess. That's just plain dumb because that is a common desire for people with cell phones, to save their messages.
That's strange. Somewhere on your phone you should be able to access Android System File Transfer. Then it should have a Use USB to with a list of things. I just choose File Transfer.

This may help. From the top of my phone screen I just drag a finger down to reveal this menu.
Phone 1.png

I tap where it says Android System File Transfer, above Notification Settings. That gets me this screen.
Phone 2.png

I tap File Transfer, Tap Here For More Options. Which gets me to this screen.
Phone 3.png

That tells my phone to make what I choose available over the USB connection.

Using my computer, running Windows 10 I can navigate to my phone which looks like this.
Phone 4.png

Next I go to the Messaging folder and view my saved messages whick look like this.
Phone 5.png

My own little observation is phones even with the Android OS are not all alike. Additionally just about all phones I have had require allowing viewing files which is what the first three phone screen shots were about. The other problem with the text messages is how Notepad likes to display the text but they are readable. I do know until I allowed viewing of files and folders on my phone the PC would see the phone but I could not get into the phone to view anything.

Hope this helps and sorry about the other junk in a screen shots. Yes, after a great yesterday it's a chilly 55 F and cloudy here. :)

Ron

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
That's strange. Somewhere on your phone you should be able to access Android System File Transfer. Then it should have a Use USB to with a list of things. I just choose File Transfer.

This may help. From the top of my phone screen I just drag a finger down to reveal this menu.
View attachment 177845

I tap where it says Android System File Transfer, above Notification Settings. That gets me this screen.
View attachment 177846

I tap File Transfer, Tap Here For More Options. Which gets me to this screen.
View attachment 177847

That tells my phone to make what I choose available over the USB connection.

Using my computer, running Windows 10 I can navigate to my phone which looks like this.
View attachment 177848

Next I go to the Messaging folder and view my saved messages whick look like this.
View attachment 177849

My own little observation is phones even with the Android OS are not all alike. Additionally just about all phones I have had require allowing viewing files which is what the first three phone screen shots were about. The other problem with the text messages is how Notepad likes to display the text but they are readable. I do know until I allowed viewing of files and folders on my phone the PC would see the phone but I could not get into the phone to view anything.

Hope this helps and sorry about the other junk in a screen shots. Yes, after a great yesterday it's a chilly 55 F and cloudy here. :)

Ron
Hi Ron,

Thanks for the screen shots.

Well my phone is different. When i first plug it into the USB, i get a file manager like you describe. Only trouble is, it allows me to view all folders except where the messages are stored. Doesnt make sense right? I looked though every single folder multiple times and looked for anything that could be a message file. All i found was the pictures, documents, etc., that were on the phone, but no messages.
Also, no contacts either. I can not copy my contacts to the PC either which is another feature that the DrPhone is supposed to allow.
This thing is just so stupid.

I just tried another program too for the PC and that doesnt work either. I am thinking i need a program for the phone but i had to mess up the phone with crazy programs.

[LATER]
Tried the official LG software suite and that didnt work either.
Funny, when i first plug in the phone i get to choose everything except Messages and Contacts, without any software. But when i tried the software, i get nothing.

Last edited:

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I'm out of options here but I did notice I don't have access to my contacts folder. Never noticed that before or gave it any thought and of course I see a dozen online things I can download to try. You would think they would make this simple but no. :(

Ron

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
I'm out of options here but I did notice I don't have access to my contacts folder. Never noticed that before or gave it any thought and of course I see a dozen online things I can download to try. You would think they would make this simple but no. :(

Ron
Hi,

Yeah that's the kind of jo's we have working on these things these days.

I have to keep a written record of my contacts which is just plain nuts in this age of computers and data processing and data storage. I could store my contacts a million times over on a 5 dollar USB drive, but no, i have to write them down on a piece of paper or type them into something like Notepad separately THEN store it on a USB drive.

I've tried two of LG's official softwares and neither of them can connect to the phone.
It does get to the part where the phone says, "Allow USB debugging?" and then i click OK, but that's it. No connection.

My last thought is that something will have to be installed on the phone itself. Maybe something that allows root access. Not sure what yet and i hate to do it so im still thinking it over and hoping something better comes up here.

Thanks for your input Ron and of course if something else comes up let me know and if i find out anything more i'll surely let you know too.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Hi Ya MrAl, yes, absolutely if something pops in my head I'll let you know. My last phone was a Galaxy 4 which worked just fine and I could access everything on it and could actually get replacement batteries for $5.00 each on Amazon. Life was good.

Then I get a notification from Verizon my cellular carrier. Verizon is going to a new voicemail system and my Galaxy 4 will no longer download my voicemail so when I want to get voicemails left I need to go online to the server and log into my account which is not what I want to do. The solution was to buy a new phone or continue to have to go through more nonsense. So I got the phone and since two years have passed and I own the phone I am waiting for the next trick in the playbook. Oh yeah, a new battery cost a fortune and on this phone you need to heat the phone and work prying it apart because making it water proof to whatever depth required the simple old snap apart seams to be glued and opening it requires heating the glue. So now a simple battery replacement is $70 through, of course, an authorized Samsung distributor. Go figure huh?

Ron

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi Ya MrAl, yes, absolutely if something pops in my head I'll let you know. My last phone was a Galaxy 4 which worked just fine and I could access everything on it and could actually get replacement batteries for $5.00 each on Amazon. Life was good.

Then I get a notification from Verizon my cellular carrier. Verizon is going to a new voicemail system and my Galaxy 4 will no longer download my voicemail so when I want to get voicemails left I need to go online to the server and log into my account which is not what I want to do. The solution was to buy a new phone or continue to have to go through more nonsense. So I got the phone and since two years have passed and I own the phone I am waiting for the next trick in the playbook. Oh yeah, a new battery cost a fortune and on this phone you need to heat the phone and work prying it apart because making it water proof to whatever depth required the simple old snap apart seams to be glued and opening it requires heating the glue. So now a simple battery replacement is $70 through, of course, an authorized Samsung distributor. Go figure huh?

Ron
Hi Ron,

Wow, now i dont feel so bad i thought my phone was a problem.

My battery isnt really simple to change either though i dread having to do it. That's because the only way to open the case is to pry it open by sticking something into the micro USB port hole, which is REALLY REALLY dumb because the connector inside can be easily damaged as it is small and not super durable.
The manual says to "stick your fingernail" into the hole to pry up the lid, but that doesnt work because it takes too much force you'd rip your fingernail off before that lid ever came off, so i have to stick something in there and be VERY careful not to mess up the USB connector tab inside the one with the electrical contacts on it. If that gets messed up, the WHOLE phone is garbage unless i want to keep swapping out batteries every time it runs down, which of course would be too much of a hassle.

Whadda ya say, class action lawsuit on all cell phone makers? :)